Old January 18th 04, 03:16 PM
Vaughn

"Chris OCallaghan" wrote in message
om...
Ah, what would life be without a controversy? Here's some conflicting
information to digest.

Open spoilers are rain catchers. Closed spoilers are not completely
sealed. If it rains, water will dribble in. If it rains hard and long,
the spolier box will slowly fill and at some point begin to spill
through the control rod access hole into the wing.

Solution, leave the spoilers closed and tape the seams. Or better yet,
get a set of wing covers.

It is possible to have it both ways. If you really want to spoil the
lift of your wing while parked, you can make your own strap on spoilers of
padded wood or aluminum. Here in Florida, we get afternoon thunderbumpers
with winds that can briefly reach hurricane force. Over the years, I have
seen more than one glider get unnecessarily trashed. In addition to good
tiedowns, I like to see a moderately raised tail, and an extra tiedown
anchor for the tow hook.

Another issue that nobody has yet mentioned is the possible lack of UV
protection inside the spoiler box, this might be a good reason to keep
spoilers closed while tied down outside.

Vaughn