Old June 23rd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Deer hunting in an airplane

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote in message
m...
Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jun 20, 11:04 am, wrote:
How to get a buck from an airplane:

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s...8-deer_plane_c...

I'm always worried about this at small airports. I've seen many
animals run across the runway (dogs, turkeys, etc). Any one of which
could be really unfortunate if it happened at high speed.

-Robert

It isn't just small airports. That said we got us a $2mil fence that
while paid for with FAA and DHS money its primary gain will be the
reduction in deer on the runway.

Only if it's a REAL tall fence - Deer don't mind jumping over fences.

It is a 8 foot fence with another ~2 feet of barbed wire. Add to that in
most place there is a 3 - 4 food drop on the wild side of the fence
making in effectively a 13-14 foot fence. It should hold them at bay.