Old September 21st 03, 11:30 PM
Brett Holcomb

I haven't defragged any system. It's not really worth it. Yes, I know
that there will be people who claim a tremendous speed increase - I think
it's mainly psychological G. At one point I checked various research on
it and it came out to the same thing - it isn't worth it unless you like to
see the colored boxes lined up in order on the defrag screen. As anon says
- it's snake oil G.

wrote:

On 21-Sep-2003, "Mark Cherry" wrote:

Quick questions for you all,

How many of you take the time and trouble to defragment before a major
install

Speed Tips/Speed up software are the new Snake Oil industry.
Defragging has become one of those things that conventional wisdom says is
good.
I would challenge that notion and point to the number of times defragging
has actually caused file corruption. Why this is not dealt with by the
text books is beyond me!

Of course a badly defragged system should be dealt with but , if
fragmentation is slight , I wouldn't bother. Hard drives are amazingly
fast and accurate at picking up data , so speed improvements are rarely
noticed.

Don't worry about the swapfile. Again Fixed size or System Managed it's
had to spot a benefit. Some experts say one thing and others another.

I would leave FS9 as system managed on the basis that it's a Microsoft
Product and will have been developed with default settings in mind.

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt