Old July 30th 03, 06:58 AM
Prime

"Marty Ross" wrote in
t:

I've also been looking into possible scenic flights to take from Chico
(once I'm up there, to take my brother for a spin).

Two questions have come to me so far:

(1) Lake Tahoe. Is there a good, relatively low altitude and safe
route to Lake Tahoe from Chico (e.g., from the central valley on the
west) fitting for a Piper Warrior II and my lack of recent mountain
flying experience? Judging only from the WAC, all of the surrounding
terrain seems rough and that I'd need to climb/fly over 11,000', and
I'm not comfortable with that.

(2) All of the MOAs east of Chico (E.g., "China MOA") -- are they
often active and of concern? For instance, a flight up to and around
Susanville and/or Westwood (E.g.., past Butte Meadows to "Rogers" O05)
could be scenic fun.

Any other comments or ideas about where might be nice to fly to from
Chico for the day (radius = 100NM)?

"Marty Ross" wrote in message
I'm looking to gain information about preferred routes,
interesting/cheap refueling stops or siteseeing opportunities, or any
other pertinent information (weather/notams/etc.) for my round-trip
flight at the end of this month (July 2003) from the Los Angeles area
to Chico (northern California). I'll be staying in Chico about 4-5
days.

Looking at the WAC, it looks like it could be a pretty monotonous
flight (e.g., lost in the gigantic central valley). The only stop
I'm currently thinking of is at Columbia (O22) because I've heard
it's a cute spot to stretch one's legs (in the old mining town
nearby).

Again, any other ideas or suggestions for this flight (and the return
several days later) will be appreciated!

-- Marty

For a stunning airport from Chico, try Shelter Cove. The runway is on a
peninsula jutting into the ocean. You land and takeoff over water. It is
surrounded by a golf course.

My cousin lives there!

Prime