Old June 5th 04, 11:03 PM
John Carrier

Actually, that single engine aircraft was the A-1 (AKA Spad) which relied on
a Wright R-3350 for power. The early A-4 could theoretically lift a B-17
bomb load, but not with much fuel in the aircraft.

R / John

"W. D. Allen Sr." wrote in message
By the mid 1950s we were catapulting single engine jet aircraft from Navy
carriers with greater bomb loads than the WWII B-17 could carry.

WDA

end

"Howard Berkowitz" wrote in message
What reaction do you have to the size of WWII aircraft versus modern
ones, where a "lightweight" fighter such as an F-16 is probably
comparable in size to Willie the Wolf -- and a F-15 the size of a B-17.
Must be a strange sensation -- I'd like to hear your thoughts.