Old June 19th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default GA in decline since 1968 .. or .. 1979.

On 2007-06-19, Mutts wrote:

Article about this very thing........

Up, Up and ... Never Mind
http://www.flyingaggies.org/flightli...585&mode=print

I now its popular to blame cost for the decline. Yes, it is a factor I
know.

If you correct the costs from the 1960s to today's with inflation,
you'll find the cost in real terms hasn't changed.

Do you have some stats to support that?

(Off the top of my head from a sporatic memory)

For example, when I learned to fly, in the late 70's, a 172 went $18-20 an
hour. Today, it's $120 an hour.

Inflation has certainly not been a factor of six in that intervening time.

A 1993 Beech F33A went $130-140k - now an A36 goes around a $Million$.

What has dropped is avionics and probably overall maint labor costs. These,
though, are not enough to offset the acquision and operating costs.

--
Matt Barrow
Performace Homes, LLC.