Old June 19th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

Default GA in decline since 1968 .. or .. 1979.

On 2007-06-19, Matt Barrow wrote:
If you correct the costs from the 1960s to today's with inflation,
you'll find the cost in real terms hasn't changed.

Do you have some stats to support that?

It's difficult to compare exact like for like, but, reposting from an
earlier message, comparing club prices of 1970 with club prices of 2007:

(on the decline of GA)
snip
On 2007-05-23, birdog wrote:
Why? My opinion, it's the expense. In the '60's and early 70's, our
club
used to fly an old Champ for $4 an hour and a 172 for $16 an hour,
wet.

And my reply:

$16 hr wet in 1970 dollars is $85 wet in 2006 dollars.

The Bay Area Aero Club in Houston, which I used to be a member of, rents
its 172 out at $75 hr today. So the price in real terms has actually
fallen.
snip

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/ - an RPI calculator.