Old January 21st 18, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 12:25:34 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 6:59:41 AM UTC-7, Paul Agnew wrote:
From Facebook:

Sad news from the last race day;
Local Chile pilot Tomas Reich had an accident on the ridges south of Santiago. The Chile SAR recovered Tomas and took him by helicopter to the hospital in Santiago. Unfortunately Tomas died during the evening from the injuries he sustained during the accident. Our thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends during this tragic time.

Sad news indeed. Would be interested to learn more regarding what exactly happened. Condolences to his family and friends.

Condolences to his family. Much too early for Tomas.

For anyone who flies in the mountain I suggest reading "Dancing with the Wind" by Jean-Marie Clement. There is a good section on safety of mountain flying, an eye opener.