Old December 9th 03, 07:20 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:32:57 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

snip

265 to 285 in a Glasair III?
Yup! Course thats MPH and not knots.
POH lists 282 at 8,000 using a stock 300 HP K1A5, or K1H5 Lycombing at

75%
That's pretty close to the figures I was seeing when I flew N540HP at
Oshkosh.
OTOH the turbocharged version will cruise at something like 360 plus
MPH at 25,000.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

Mike
MU-2

I'm not doubting the numbers but I thought that a Lancair IV was the

fastest
and could reach a maxmium of 295kts but *cruised* at about 240kts.

The normally aspirated G-III cruises at something close to 260 MPH, or
226 knots at roughly 8000 feet. The turbocharged G-III, with the 2
foot wingtip extensions for the high aspect ratio, is considerably
faster at altitude. BUT and it's a really big but... there have only
been couple built and I don't believe it's offered as part of the kit.
It is also quite different than the standard G-III fire wall forward
(including the firewall), at least the one being built just north of
me is. One owner (see the builders group www.glasair.org ) says he
gets 228 knots at 8,000 and 75%

The turbocharged version of the G-III runs the same HP as the IV-P,
but is smaller and unpressurized. That sucker will really haul at
altitude, if the pilot and passenger can stand it.

Even sucking on Oxygen, I don't like to go that high.

But, to redress... if you count currently offered models and versions
then yes, the IV-P would be the fastest model offered as the
turbocharged G-III (as far as I can determine) is now a builder mod
rather than a factory option.

I'm going to have to ask if anyone on there is flying a turbocharged
model and what they get for speeds.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Return address modified due to dumb virus checkers

Mike
MU-2

Thanks for the education. I have a Murphy Moose fast build kit on order
that will only go about 145mph but will get off the ground in 600' with
1400lbs of fuel and people.

Mike
MU-2