Old January 30th 04, 01:11 AM
Ron Garrison

Default Logging approaches

I had a 'first' last week, and I am looking for other peoples thoughts on
this one. It was my first (I believe) loggable instrument approach in what
was legally VMC. I was flying from the San Francisco bay area down to
Burbank. The reported conditions were sky clear, visibility 4 miles in haze,
with the ILS 8 in use, no mention of visual approaches. The visibility part
was right, from about 4,000 feet down to the surface there was about 4 miles
visibility based on when the runway appeared. I could see the ground below
just fine the whole time, but looking forward there was no visible horizon.

I considered the approach loggable because:
1) navigation aids were required to find the airport
2) There was no visible horizon so the attitude indicator was required
to identify and maintain the desired aircraft attitude.

Any differing opinions on this one?