Old January 30th 04, 05:30 PM
David Brooks

"Ron Garrison" wrote in message
Good advice, thanks! Hand flying that ILS while having to look out for the
multiple VFR targets did more to keep me sharp than flying a coupled
autopilot approach to minimums in solid IMC from before the IAF.

The purpose of the question was to get a better understanding of what the
rules are, knowing that what is legal and what is safe are two different
things.

At least on this forum, I don't think it has been settled what the rules
are. The question at its extreme is whether you have to be in IMC all the
way to minimums. The most commonly quoted response is Lynch's FAQ, but even
though he seems to be trying to say you do have to go to minimums (making it
a practical impossibility to find a loggable IMC approach), he seems
determined to be vague by answering a question that wasn't asked.

I don't have enough experience to opine, but "do you honestly feel it was
valuable" makes sense. Another common answer seems to be that you should log
it if you are still solid at FAF.

-- David Brooks