Old September 24th 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Joe Marino

Default Are birds IFR?

John R. Copeland wrote:
I've heard of migratory birds being seen *above* clouds,
but I've never heard of them being seen *in* clouds.
Could that be simply because they're hard to see in IMC?
I'm more comfortable hoping they just don't fly there.
I've noticed daytime birds are extremely uncomfortable flying at night.

My understanding is, and I haven't the foggiest idea where I read this,
probably on of the many aviation magazines I read, but birds are NOT
IFR. They may fly above or below the soup, but not in it.

I think someone in one of those articles pointed out that on a rainy
day with low ceilings just look at all the geese on the ground!

My only question then is this: if they get stuck on top, do they not
what the MVA is?

Joe