Old October 2nd 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default VFR Practise Approaches

On Oct 2, 12:16*pm, Mark Hansen wrote:

You are clearly reading more into his statement than what's there.

No.... He said I can do what I want in Bravo. I cannot.

I can decline an ATC instruction as PIC for remaining VMC rather then
penetrate a cloud or the unlikely possibility of traffic conflict, but
I CANNOT do as I well please in Bravo.

AS I EXPLAINED BEFORE.....

If KMEM says cleared visual into Memphis, I am not expected to go
willy nilly. I am expected to make a straight line approach into
Memphis. Not take a scenic tour along the route from my position to
the threshold. If I wish such a deviation, I best get a clearance.
UNNECESSARY S turns slows my ground speed and I am sure would mess up
ATC's chess game of airplanes BEHIND me (not even considering the line
of planes waiting for me to vacate the piece of pavement in front of
me after landing).

Same for altitude. If I am 2000, with a visual cleared to land with
the above instructions, I best not climb without a clearance as I
would suspect that is not expected by ATC and that airspace above is
occupied by another airplane with the expectation I am to descend and
land.

Key thing is the expectation. Anything unexpected by ATC, I better
request a clearance. This is how I run my shop in the real world.

I have heard enough on Bravo freq. to substantiate what I am saying
where somebody gummed up the works and got chewed out on the air
because they did something unexpectedly.

Mx MSFS world nothing like the real deal and I sure hope you can
differentiate that even if he can't????????