Old October 18th 20, 01:54 PM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurtari View Post
Folks,
I'm former USAF and have really enjoyed flying gliders. I love this topic as it has mystified me and I've heard some amazing things..."if you fly a glider properly you don't need brakes." I also saw a 1-26 brake that was a flexible piece of metal that rubbed against the tread. Personally, I expect a fully applied brake to stop wheel rotation and cause a skid. Clearly the FAA does not feel that is essential in a glider....

Best regards!
John Murtari
I have a lot of time in 1-26's , they have the effective brake system you mentioned .
But I had the most longest and terrifying off field landing roll in a 1-26.
I had a failed ridge transition and picked a very long field ,it had some rolls but pretty much level. After touchdown I kept going ,and going ,and going.
I pulled and puled on the brake but Nothing! Coming to a stop 50' from the trees after what seemed like a quarter mile I exited the canopy and got down on my knees to check the brake and found the main wheel off the ground by 4"!!
Apparently the crop was not soy beans like I thought it was Alfalfa . Very dense and when crushed produces water and a slimy substance .
I guess 1-26s are not very ground loop prone in high crops LOL .