Old June 23rd 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn

Default Glider insurance

"jsbrake" wrote in message

Perhaps I'm being naive, but wouldn't the FBO insure the glider and
pass on a portion of the insurance costs to the renter as part of the
time-for-use charge? After all, the FBO should already have insurance
on the ship as a commercial operation.

It is indeed normal for an FBO (powered or glider) to insure rental
aircraft. Like all costs, you can be sure that those costs are passed on
the renter. Unfortunately, the renter gets little or no benefit form that
insurance because the "insured party" is normally defined as the FBO and the
owner of the aircraft (if they are different). In this way, the insurers
"double dip" by retaining the right to claim damages from the renter in case
of accident. For protection from this event, the renter must buy "renter's
insurance" to protect themselves from being sued by the insurance companies.
My renter's insurance costs me about $1,000/year and still only includes
modest hull coverage. The only good part is that mine covers both gliders
and airplanes.

Vaughn