Old March 20th 17, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default We need an ASW-19 rebirth for $25,000

I'll bet you can in the USA. Mark, has that changed?

On 3/19/2017 4:55 AM, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 2:49:36 AM UTC+3, Soartech wrote:
On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 5:31:39 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
Low capital cost isn't everything.

What's the depreciation on a high performance hang glider?

It IS everything if you can't afford it!
Then the alternative is to not fly or buy something you can afford.
Add in no license required and free launches. For most young people it's a
no-brainer. Been there and done that.

In I assume many countries -- New Zealand is one definite example -- a hang glider pilot requires exactly the same "license" as a glider pilot (or parachutist, or ultralight pilot), namely:

- must belong to a club affiliated to the appropriate national organisation, to which authority is delegated by the Ministry of Transport

- said club must have a CFI approved by the national organisation

- said pilot may not fly unless the CFI says so (usually expressed as "has not grounded them")

You can't just buy a used hang glider on TradeMe and jump off the nearest hill.

--
Dan, 5J