Old March 31st 04, 06:56 PM

Default Starter selection -- seeking input

We are about to order a factory rebuilt Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 engine for our
Arrow IV. The engine comes with a new starter, and we can choose either the
"conventional" Prestolite MZ-4222 or the "light weight" Sky-Tech 149-12PM.
Price is the same either way. We have never used anything but he
conventional Prestolite and have no experience with Sky-Techs. Our mechanic
says that he has seen fewer problems with the Prestolite, but that is based
mainly on experience with rental fleet airplanes that get a lot more starter
abuse than ours. My personal experience is that most starter problems
relate to the Bendix gear, which is apparently eliminated in the Sky-Tech
design.
I would welcome informed opinions on which way to go.

--
-Elliott Drucker