Old December 25th 10, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Default ASK21 air brake bell crank repair

On Dec 23, 6:31*am, Geoff Brown
wrote:
I've been trying to find anything on the www that shows how to access the
pivot bolt that secures the air brake bell crank that is located in the air
brake box on an ASK21.

I've had no luck. *Does anyone else have any pointers?

Thanks

Geoff,
If I understand the problem, you need to drill a hole on the forward
side of the spar in order to get at the other end of the bolt that
secures the air brake pivot bolt. I would tap-test the width of the
spar cap and then add an inch to show where to drill an exploritory
hole. Start with 1/16 drill and stop if you get anything other than
skin/foam/skin. If that goes OK, then widen it out to 1/2" in order to
get a small light and mirror in there. Now you can adjust the hole as
necessary to remove/replace the bolt/nut. I have replaced the inner
skin with pre-cured glass piece that overlaps the inner skin at 40:1
(about 3/4"), held in place with 3 strings that pull it up until epoxy
cures.Then replaced the foam core (plug with no scarf) followed with a
normal 40:1 scarf on the outer skin replacement + one layer of 92110
extending out another 1/2" to make sure none of the uni tries to get
loose.
Hope this helps,
JJ