Old August 25th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dave

Default Wanted, electret microphone

John Smith wrote:
In article NBmsk.718$lf2.305@trnddc07, "Mike"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Aug 23, 12:46 pm, noname wrote:
The microphone in my old headset went TU and need a replacement.
Anybody have a working one they would like to part with?

Thanks

Dave
You could probably fix it with the electret mike from a
cheap telephone (not an old carbon-mike phone). I built a headset once
and used the mike from a $3 corded phone, no preamp or anything, and
it worked OK. Had to put a small capacitor across it to bleed off some
of the high freqencies. The mike itself was maybe 3/8" diameter, about
the same thick, and fit nicely into a holder carved of wood.

Dan

That sounds like a lot of work to develop something that's going to be less
effective than a replacement, but I can't say I'm innocent of spending way
too many man-hours trying to save a few bucks. The problem with using one
from a telephone is I don't think the impedence matches up and most aviation
mics have some type of noise cancelling circuitry.

What makes you think the impedence of the ones in the telephones are
different from the ones in your headset?

I'd rather not cobble something up if I can help it. I was just looking
for somebody with an old headset with a workable microphone that still
works.

Dave