Old July 6th 04, 03:42 PM
C J Campbell

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
news:hLwGc.16623$JR4.7695@attbi_s54...
A pilot crashed on a NH mountain in fog yesterday. He survived, but his
17-year-old son did not. Rescuers were able to find him in part because he
was blowing a whistle. I just added one to my flight bag.

The whistle is a vital part of survival gear. Survival experts recommend
that you wear it around your neck, along with your pocket knife and button
compass. There are some people that will not leave the house without these
things (like most people, I am not one of them so this may be a case of "do
what I say, not what I do").

We have friends who have given each of their family members distinctive
whistles and they use their whistles to locate each other in stores and
parking lots. They were even able to keep track of each other at Disneyland
last year.