Old May 21st 04, 04:46 PM

Roy Smith wrote:

In article , wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message ...

Roy Smith wrote:

J Haggerty wrote:
TACAN aircraft cannot hold directly over a
VORTAC or TACAN (unless they also have a VOR).

Why not?

He's right in the case of a TACAN, wrong in the case of a VORTAC.

Why? What difference does it make to a TACAN-only aircraft if the navaid is
a TACAN or a VORTAC?

I misread it; I thought it was a VOR aircraft.

OK guys, now that we've established that, let me repeat my original
question, which seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle...

Why can't a TACAN-only aircraft hold directly over a TACAN?

Never used one. I have a vague recollection it has something to do with too large
of a zone of ambiuity. Perhaps some Naval flyer can give the specifics.