Old April 13th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan Luke

Default Autopilot use during approach

"Ron Gordon" wrote:

I've moved up to a new plane that includes an S-Tec 50 autopilot. It has
several very capable modes ranging from Wings Leveler, Track a Heading bug,
Follow NAV input, Hold a set Altitude, and approach mode which tracks NAV
input more closely.

What do the regs say about the permissible use of an autopilot after the
enroute portion of a flight that is being conducted under instrument flight
rules?

Nothing, at least for Part 91 operations; might be different for 35 or 121, I
don't know.

To what extent is it permissible to use the autopilot during an approach?
For example, after the controller says "radar vectors for..." through DH?

I use my S-Tec 50 in approaches all the time, but usually not in the final
segment of an ILS. The 50 is not a top-of-the-line autopilot; I flatter
myself that I can do it better.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM