Old September 30th 17, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default transfer/ doublesdied tape.

I've just mechanically removed the old adhesive. (Tool is a fingernail for something small, or a soft scraper like a credit card, or trimmed end of a wooden chopstick, for larger or hard to get to.)

Then clean with acetone and a clean rag, and let dry.

Then trim and put transfer tape down on the plane side.

Then remove the transfer tape cover.

Then push down the mylar, working towards the free end, and go over with the mechanical cleaning tool to make sure is sticks.

Then put an outer layer of speed tape.

Perhaps the MEK is too aggressive and is messing with the transfer tape adhesive.

For new mylar, I might also rough up with 1000 grit, but for old stuff, I figure this was done originally.

There could be something contaminating the surface, like silicone wax, which the solvent might not help with. If so, I might try a completely different solvent system like detergent and water might help. So far I haven't had this issue. Perhaps others here have?