Old December 15th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

Default Tomcat in Air and Space Museum

Except when the fookin radar didn't work, it didn't matter how good it
was on paper. In the 12 months I flew the F-16, I launched w/o a radar
exactly ZERO times, in about 450 hrs...I had a radar fail once in that
time. It was standard to launch off the boat(VF-31, USS Forrestal) w/o
a stinkin radar about 30 days into the cruise. I saw better radar
availability with the F-4S(Awg-10) than I EVER did with the
AWG-9...APG-71 had MUCH better availability than the HAWG-9....The
inspired by the A-6, designed in the late 60s, F-14, never to be
modified in the 2 decades it existed, was an embarrassment when
compared to aircraft like the F-16C and F-15C/E....even the 'D'
model...too little too late. If the F-14A became the 'C' model like it
was supposed to, along the lines of USAF and now F-18 A/C, the F-18F
wouldn't exist.

For whatever reason, the F-14 seemed to be the red-haired stepchild when it
came to system upgrades. The engines were late (the F-14B was supposed to
come along with roughly airframe 49). WCS got the minimum incremental
upgrades in software (tape driven for God's sake!). Never got AAMRAM. A
lot of program managers are wearing the legion of merit when they should be
reading letters of reprimand.

The F-15 is a nice example of how to manage an airframe. The Turkey an
example on how to neglect one.

R / John