Old April 20th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Graham Paul

Default Standalone Flight Recorders for Club Use

Please note that the link to the EW Avionics on the site is now
incorrect. The correct address is http://www.ewavionics.com
Graham
EW Avionics

Newsgroup: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Standalone Flight Recorders for Club Use
Author: Mike Schumann
Date/Time: 21:10 20 April 2007
What is the cost of the smaller unit? Where are they available?

Mike Schumann

"ContestID67" wrote in message
oups.com...

I am the electronics maintainence chairman for my glider club. As
the club members interests in cross country soaring grew, I was tasked
with creating a flight recorder that everyone could use in our club
ships. While the club had several mechanical barographs, they were
deemed not viable as they were difficult to use and needed to be
calibrated once a year. Therefore some form of electronic flight
recorder was to be used. The goals were;

- Simple to use. Turn it on, mount it and forget it.
- Simple to download log files.
- Self contained, self powered and portable for use in multiple
gliders.
- Ruggedized so that normal use by pilots with a variety of skill
levels would not easily damage the unit.

I came up with one design in 2006 based on the Cambridge 302A and
another design in 2007 based on the new EW Microrecorder.

See http://geocities.com/jhderosa/aviati...recorders.html for
details and pictures.

Fly Safe!

- John "67R" DeRosa