Old October 26th 20, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring Club Financials

Haven't seen much discussion of this topic and I'm rather curious what the consensus is. I know of some clubs that did not open this year. Other clubs opened late and still others opened and just as quickly closed.

I'm curious what kind of shape that leaves the soaring community at large with to pay bills and survive to fly another year.

I can tell you from other organizations in which I serve we've seen revenue drop precipitously because people are no longer able to participate in person or because our normal fund raising has been shut down, likely to the end of the year. There's a limit on just how much you can cover by austerity and curtailment.

The absence of instructors has lead some clubs to decline new members which I think is a very ethical approach but how viable is that over the long term? Some clubs pay CFI-Gs a stipend while others re-imburse the costs of commercial --CFI-G. Note that I am not fitting either or both of these into the category of 'covid remedies', I'm only suggesting that they are a couple of means by which the dearth of instructors might be solved (there may well be others).