Old December 29th 17, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Linar,

Thanks for the interesting github pointer.

I'm not quite up to date on the state of Flarm reverse engineering and interoperability. For example, does the SoftRf understand the Flarm Frequency hopping?

The whole Flarm proprietary thing seems wrong, but on the other hand it funds a somewhat working Flarm system. Given that it exists, the most likely path to an open system seems like ADSB and/or an open software load for the existing Flarm boxes.

I wonder if ADSB is a viable path for gliders. Has anybody looked at if the broadcast ADSB state vectors are suitable for feeding a collision detection algorithm like the one in Flarm?

-Stu