Old November 28th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Contest Wait list

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 7:10:50 AM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 20:55:49 -0800, John Foster wrote:

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 10:24:09 AM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie
wrote:
XC flying and competition flying are probably two of the main reasons
why pilots don't vanish after learning to fly and getting bored with
local flying. That's one reason that UK clubs promote going for badges
to a newly soloed pilot: almost immediately converting them to a single
seat glider and starting to work toward getting their bronze and silver
badges with gold and diamonds a more distant goal.

I wish we had the support from our national organization in the US that
you guys in Britain have for your clubs.

I agree that the BGA is an active and helpful organisation[*], but the
push for new solos getting to at least Silver badge level is done at club
level.

[*] its main contribution here is probably to publish 'Laws and Rules for
glider pilots', an A5-sized booklet of just under 70 pages. Its well
written, logically organised and covers pretty much all the legalities of
flying gliders in the UK.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

I think this is 100% true - to get more pilots flying "locals are required" and we have lots going on. It is all appreciated.

The questions a
"Is growing numbers of XC glider pilots the mission both Local and SSA?"
"What do Locals need?"
"What success stories do we have and can they be duplicated?"
"is there any ideas than can help the Mission?"

Success Story - in our area the Albatross club ran two well attended seminar in the winter. This year they are repeating it. 50 - to 60 active XC pilots.

I started this thread because I saw so few people signed up at really nice contests and my mentor when asked about his success in Soaring always Replies "You have to show up"

While I am an extremely competitive person and would be so Happy if the US had a WC victory - I believe to first priority is get more people to show up

WH