Old December 31st 12, 01:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn

Default The new Electric Cessna 172

On 12/31/2012 12:45 AM, Orval Fairbairn wrote:
There are still major chemical limitations on energy storage/weight
issues that preclude them from being a viable power source for aircraft
-- and cars.

It's time to wake up and smell the kilowatts Orval. "Preclude" is a
pretty daring word to use when you consider that electric cars and
aircraft are on the consumer market today.

Electric cars are here. That simple fact was driven home to me last
week when I visited California, where electric cars and their charging
stations are becoming a regular sight.

I have read your arguments here many times, and I agree with you that
the case for electric airplanes is harder to make. We especially agree
about that "new electric 172". (Can something that hasn't even been
built truly be considered "new"?) Still, recent improvements in the
technology is making special purpose electric aircraft look tempting.
Glider launch is an early application that is quickly gaining traction
in the marketplace.

In short; in the face of an improving technology, only a fool uses words
like "never" and "preclude".