Old April 20th 04, 03:06 PM
James M. Knox

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in
:

The basic design has not changed since installation.

It's two tubes and a bellows. Not much to change. G

They have insufficient data on failure rates, but they have several of
them that have been operating through several engine changes without
failure.

They recommend a periodic "overhaul" if I recall, but most just ignore
it until (and if) trouble. Mine was simply moved from one engine
(during reman) to the new one. It just keeps soldiering on.

There is a revised operating range (and chart) associated with the
wastegate that I should have.

Legally, yes. But you will find it really won't tell you anything you
don't know.

These folks are really on top of their product and have outstanding
customer service. It was a pleasure dealing with them!

When I bought mine originally I was having some accessories overhauled,
including the turbocharger. Due to a really BAD (name-brand) overhaul
shop (which is now out of business), the turbo worked but not correctly.
There is a simple test of the turbo/wastegate, and my plane wouldn't
pass. Went back and forth between the two shops, trying to figure out
where the problem was.

The Merlyn folks went well above and beyond, working with me on the
problem. [And the turbocharger overhaul shop finally wound up buying me
a spanking new turbocharger, in return for my not suing in court,
complete with 8x10 glossy photos. G]

jmk