Old September 8th 03, 08:29 AM
Scott Peterson

(Kevin Brooks) wrote:

You are aware that the Cold War was still alive and well through
the *eighties*?

Yes. But I'm also aware that throughout the Viet Nam era National
Guard units were regarded as draft dodgers refuges. Specifically, the
TxANG 147th fighter group was considered a "champagne" unit that was a
refuge for the area's privileged. Its ranks included John Conally's
son, Lloyd Benston's son, John Tower's son, George Bush's son and
seven Dallas Cowboys

And that despite the fact that the TXANG units were
based in Texas, they could have been assigned air defense duties
*anywhere*?

Could of, maybe shudda, but weren't and considering that in that time
frame the F-102 was no longer a first-line aircraft, were probably
close to the bottom of the list for doing that.

The situation today is not all that different (except that
today's threat is unlikely to shoot back), with ANG fighters flying AD
missions from detached locations on a routine basis.

You've lost me here. I'm not aware of any 'threats' that shot back at
air defence missions around the Continental US. In the seventies or
now.

I believe that in the sixties and seventies, the units were much more
tightly tied to the state than they are now. Also since they were
flying aircraft that were not in first-line service, and fairly
high-maintenance, moving them to other bases not equipped to handle
them would have been a major logistical move that would be difficult
to justify.

You may not like
GWB, but attacking the service of the F-102 pilots who did their duty
*wherever* it occured is not gaining you very much.

I said it wasn't the stuff of legend. i.e. not particularly
memorable. That's a long way from attacking them. Anyone who did
their duty honorably can be justifiably proud, regardless of how
memorable it was.

Scott Peterson

"Placebos raise a problem in these days of the pharmacist
labeling pill bottles with their contents. One cannot admit
that the pill is nothing but sugar if it is to work, so a fancy
brand name is needed. Among the proposals made for what
to name a brandname placebo are Confabulase, Gratifycin,
Deludium, Hoaxacillin, Dammitol, Placebic Acid and Panacease."