Researching Airport History -- Help, please!

Old October 5th 04, 11:47 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Researching Airport History -- Help, please!

As many of you know, I have been working on a comprehensive history of
the Iowa City Airport. This task was thrust upon me as a required
adjunct to our project of saving our Boeing/United hangar -- one of
just seven original air mail hangars still standing nationwide.

While researching this incredible hangar it became painfully obvious
that no comprehensive history of the building -- or the airport --
existed. Since "Step One" of placing a building on the National
Register of Historic Places is to document its historic importance,
you can see how this endeavor quickly expanded.

Thanks to some generous donations, I have recently added many new
photos and historic tidbits (see the entire history at
www.alexisparkinn.com/the_iowa_city_airport.htm).

However, I am still in search of the following:

1. Pilots Who Flew United Airlines Into Iowa City.
Airline service was continuous from the early 1920s until 1972. Until
around 1950, airline passengers embarked from the historic
Boeing/United Hangar, a truly unique piece of aviation history.

I have been unable to find any pilot who actually used that facility
for what it was intended (It was designed so that you could taxi in
one side, close the gigantic doors, unload in climate-controlled
comfort -- and then taxi out the other side.) Pilots who may have
flown into Iowa City during that time are at least 75 or 80 years old
now, so time is running out on finding them.

Please, if you know any old, retired United Air Lines pilots, please
ask them if they ever flew into Iowa City. If they say "yes" --
please let me know ASAP!

2. Passengers Who Flew United Airlines Into Iowa City.
I have been unable to find anyone who actually flew into the
Boeing/United hangar facility. Again, if you know anyone who flew
into Iowa City prior to 1950, please let me know.

3. Pilots/Passengers Who Flew Ozark Airlines Into Iowa City.
After 1959, Ozark took over airline service from United. Although
this post-dates the use of the Boeing/United hangar (a new terminal
was in use by then), it would still be great to interview someone who
flew into or out of Iowa City during this era.

Thanks for any help!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old October 6th 04, 12:21 AM
Shiver Me Timbers

Have you tried a small classified ad in you local papers looking for
seniors who may have photos, stories, etc., or who may have worked
their during the golden years or aviation at that field.

Perhaps a call to the old folks home in your area.

You might be surprised at who is in you back yard with photos etc.,
and I'm sure they would be delighted to join you for a free brunch at
your INN and tell you stories that would last for hours.

If you do find them don't forget to video them with decent lighting and
sound recordings..... they won't live forever.
Old October 6th 04, 01:39 AM
john smith

Oh dear... does this mean we have to salute him, now?

Jay Honeck
1st Lt. CAP, Hawkeye Squadron

Old October 6th 04, 01:43 AM
Henry Kisor

Jay, I suggest sending a brief item to both AOPA Pilot and Sport Aviation as
well as all the other aviation magazines. Couch it as a letter to the
editor.

Henry

om...

Old October 6th 04, 07:40 AM
Bob Clough

While focusing on pilots will always be expected in RAP, from a historical
perspective there are indeed other sources you might consider, say flight
attendants, who can shed light on the questions you're asking. A quick look
at UA's website under corporate history revealed the United Airlines
Stewardess Alumnae and Flight Attendants group, with a website at
www.clippedwings.com. That site notes interest/ability to connect with
individuals and a chapter in Des Moines.

Hope that helps.

Bob Clough
Student Pilot
Paine Field, WA

om...

Old October 6th 04, 03:50 PM
Jay Honeck

Oh dear... does this mean we have to salute him, now?

Jay Honeck
1st Lt. CAP, Hawkeye Squadron

Nah.

A crisp bow at the waist will suffice....

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 6th 04, 03:52 PM
Jay Honeck

Have you tried a small classified ad in you local papers looking for
seniors who may have photos, stories, etc., or who may have worked
their during the golden years or aviation at that field.

This is an excellent idea.

Surely there must be someone in the area who actually used that old
Boeing/United hangar, but finding them is like finding a needle in a
haystack.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 6th 04, 03:52 PM
Jay Honeck

Jay, I suggest sending a brief item to both AOPA Pilot and Sport Aviation
as well as all the other aviation magazines. Couch it as a letter to the
editor.

Great idea, Henry!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 6th 04, 05:47 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

I have been unable to find any pilot who actually used that facility
for what it was intended (It was designed so that you could taxi in
one side, close the gigantic doors, unload in climate-controlled
comfort -- and then taxi out the other side.) Pilots who may have
flown into Iowa City during that time are at least 75 or 80 years old
now, so time is running out on finding them.

Were United pilots unionized back then? If so, is the union still around? Many unions
print a quarterly magazine or newsletter, and retirees will be on the mailing list.
They might accept ads. In fact, whether the union existed at that time or not, you
might try an ad in modern pilot's union publications. You might connect with someone
who flew with one of these old birds and still keeps in touch.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 6th 04, 06:35 PM
Rick Durden

Jay,

It's been several years since I dealt with them, but the historical
society in Des Moines (museum is near the capitol) has some aviation
materials. Also Ann Peligrino (sp?) who was the head of Iowa
Aeronautics and retraced Amelia Earhart's round the world flight (Ann
completed it successfully) in a twin Lockheed in the '60s, was reputed
to have collected a lot of Iowa aviation history material. I don't
know if she is still alive, but it might be worth a phone call to Iowa
Aeronautics in Des Moines.

The editor of IFR Magazine, Paul Berge, in Indianola does historical
pieces for Iowa Public Television and might have some ideas on the
subject.

Good luck with the project.

Warmest regards,
Rick