Indoor flying

Old May 3rd 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Indoor flying

Hi Group,

As long as we are discussing merits of toy airplanes - have you seen
this one? If you have I apologize in advance.

This video was shot in a gymnasium with some really bad background
music, but the flying is something else for a model airplane. If you
are on dial-up this will take a while, but it is worth it. Click on
the link below and enjoy.

http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Jur...-AM_Benoit.wmv

Have a great day!

Harold Hoffmann

Old May 3rd 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Strictly speaking, and as a afronted modeller (;o)), they aren't "toy"
planes but models the difference being significant.

The capabilities of models these days is really quite astonishing, thanks to
the use of advanced technology in both construction and power. I wish we
could use some of these technologies more easily in our full size aero
world...we could have some serious fun, save serious cash and time into the
bargain. Still, while we use tractor engines and circular slide rules are
guess we are at least safe. ;o(

Nice vid though, thanks.

David
oups.com...

Old May 3rd 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"david" wrote in message
Strictly speaking, and as a afronted modeller (;o)), they aren't "toy"
planes but models the difference being significant.

The capabilities of models these days is really quite astonishing, thanks

You can be as afronted as you'd like, these toys are not a model of anything
in existance. Look up the definition of "model" and that of "toy" and tell
me which is closer. Perhaps "miniature aircraft" would suit you. I think
they're toys, that doesn't diminish my respect for the talent exhibited.
Silly arguement, reminds me of the fellow in the basement with the very long
and fancy title, he still empties the wastebaskets.

Old May 3rd 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Dave wrote:

"david" wrote in message
Strictly speaking, and as a afronted modeller (;o)), they aren't "toy"
planes but models the difference being significant.

The capabilities of models these days is really quite astonishing, thanks

You can be as afronted as you'd like, these toys are not a model of anything
in existance. Look up the definition of "model" and that of "toy" and tell
me which is closer. Perhaps "miniature aircraft" would suit you. I think
they're toys, that doesn't diminish my respect for the talent exhibited.
Silly arguement, reminds me of the fellow in the basement with the very long
and fancy title, he still empties the wastebaskets.

"A toy airplane is one that you wind up and it rolls across the floor"
Flight of the Pheonix
Old May 3rd 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I'd have thought..

Model =

"A small object, usually built to scale, that represents in detail another,
often larger object." rather fits the bill.

Proportionally in scale with other 'full size' (whatever that means)
planes?Check.
Wings? Check.
Prop? Check
Fuselage? Check.
Tail empenage? Check
Four forces acting on it? Check
Control surfaces? Check.
Does it fly? Check
Does it stall? Check
Affected by normal laws and principals? Check.

Versus:

Toy =
1.. An object for children to play with.
2.. Something of little importance; a trifle.
3.. An amusement; a pastime: thought of the business as a toy.

Hmm, that could be aeroplanes of ANY size and scale to some folk.

David

Old May 4th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

In article , david says...

[...]

Well I guess I fly Indoor rubber powered duration airplanes. Airplanes that
weigh about a gram and fly in a blimp hangar for 30 -40 minutes or more under
rubber power and NO radio control.If it's a toy a lot of us are real serious
about our "toys" during the National competitions which are coming up :-)

I never considered a model that weighs a gram and is built with select balsa
that has the weight per cubic foot ,grain direction , Young's modulous
calculated and dimensions within .001" , where glue joints are weighed and a 18"
diameter variable pitch prop that weighs half a gram and changes pitch during
flight a toy. Maybe to some it is a toy but I bet my rubber band powered toy
will beat your rubber band powered toy. LOL!! So I guess it's what ever floats
your boat .

Chuck(2500 turns ,1.8" oz Torque on march 02 Tan rubber) S

Old May 4th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:

[...]

I've seen some of those things.
Pretty awesome machines.

I've built lots of rubber band powered balsa airplanes.

The toughest by far is the helicopter.
Fully articulated Hiller style setup -- 15" rotor span.
Powered Tail Rotor.
All balsa, too!

It's only trick is once around the pattern
with a high rate decent to landing.
(It doesn't autorotate
And I've never seen it really hover stationary.

To the great unwashed masses it look like a toy.

To those in the know, it's damned near a miracle.

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Richard
Old May 4th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message

Eye of the beholder, I guess.
Richard

and

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
"A small object, usually built to scale, that represents in detail another,
often larger object." rather fits the bill.

I disagree about that.

1.. An object for children to play with

Barring the notion of children, This looks good to me.

As I said to the indignant OP, it's a silly arguement. I think they're toys,
and I don't think they are models of anything except perhaps in the most
general terms. I think they are an interesting curiousity, entertaining. The
operator is clearly talented. I offered up "miniature aircraft" as
appropriate. So, as soon as I see a full size aircraft that is a copy of.
I'll change my opinion.

It does remind me of the paroxysms of rage that came from the character of
the German engineer in the original "Flight of the Pheonix" and that image
came immediately to mind whan I read the original complaint.

Old May 4th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
[...]

When I was a kid, our U-control models were called "models", and the
precision replicas that people of all ages bought or built were also called
models. And it seemed that all of them miraculously became toys when you
were yelled at.

Clearly, however, if a "full size" copy of one of the smaller aircraft was
built, then the larger craft must be the "model"...

Just my 2¢

Peter

Old May 4th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Gentlemen,
Your POLITICAL CORRECTNESS is getting in the way of appreciating the
core message of the post.

The man did a fantastic job of building his plane and demonstrated
skills in flying it.

Note also the address of the website:

AIR TOI MEDIA.

Harold Hoffmann