warrior stall speeds (VSO)

Old June 3rd 04, 08:39 PM
G Farris

Default warrior stall speeds (VSO)

Some references list the VSO (40° flaps) for a PA28-161 at 44Kt, others list
it at 33Kt.That's a pretty big difference. The POH for the one I'm flying says
33Kt. I have a hard time trusting this - Anyone here regularly land their
Warrior at 40 KT (1.2VSO)?

G Faris

Old June 3rd 04, 08:46 PM
Peter Duniho

"G Farris" wrote in message
Some references list the VSO (40° flaps) for a PA28-161 at 44Kt, others

list
it at 33Kt.That's a pretty big difference.

Indicated or calibrated? That might account for the difference in your
references.

The POH for the one I'm flying says
33Kt. I have a hard time trusting this - Anyone here regularly land

their
Warrior at 40 KT (1.2VSO)?

I assume you mean "approach at 40 knots", not "land" (the landing would be
done just above stall speed). What does the POH say about short field
landings? I would use whatever approach speed the POH suggests.

Pete

Old June 3rd 04, 09:35 PM
Greg Esres

Anyone here regularly land their Warrior at 40 KT (1.2VSO)?

When calculating approach speeds, you need to make sure that you start
with the calibrated airspeed. After multiplying by 1.2, adjust back
to indicated.

The 33 knots, if correct at all, must surely be indicated.

Old June 4th 04, 09:21 AM
Anton Ish

Geesus. How many politicians can dance on the head of a pin while
speaking the truth?

None.

Take the airplane to altitude and test it out in a landing
configuration.

Why become a test pilot - if you aren't comfortable stalling an
airplane at 33 knots - then take an instructor with you.

The slowest I ever flew an airplane was 172N at 40 knots with 40
degrees of flaps. I believe the 172N also says 33 and the airspeed
indicator shows the same. I'm not trying it out.

Old June 5th 04, 10:51 PM
Iain Wilson

Piper Warrior II Vso = 44KIAS @ Gross Weight (PIM & Checkmate). 44KIAS looks
to be about 50 KCAS in the IM I have.
33KIAS seems very very slow for a Warrior.

Iain

Old June 6th 04, 12:19 AM
Barry

Iain Wilson wrote:

Piper Warrior II Vso = 44KIAS @ Gross Weight (PIM & Checkmate). 44KIAS looks
to be about 50 KCAS in the IM I have.
33KIAS seems very very slow for a Warrior.

Emphasis on max gross weight. You can beat that figure by quite a bit in a
plane closer to empty.

Old June 6th 04, 05:24 PM

I love slow flight/MCA. At 2000 lbs gross I've had my Warrior II at 35 KIAS
with full flaps (40 degrees). It was still controllable and would execute VERY
shallow turns. Density altitude was 3100 feet. My IAS/CAS chart in the POH
doesn't go below 45 KIAS and it curves so it's hard to extrapolate.

Here's a chart. Data collected at 2000 lbs gross and 3100' DA:

Flaps 0 10 25 40
KIAS 44 41 38 35

Demonick
Seattle, WA