Idea for Jay

Old October 19th 03, 04:12 AM
Mike O'Malley

Default Idea for Jay

Jay, got a question- is your hotel's roof visible from the traffic pattern?

I only ask because I just remembered a place we used to fly over every day when
towing banners, they'd put a sign up on their roof for all (pilots) to read:

http://www.pbase.com/image/22429281

Ever think of doing anything similar on the Inn? Though, unless the roof is
relativly flat like this one, it could look kind of tacky from the ground.

--
Mike

Old October 19th 03, 04:31 AM
Jay Honeck

Hi Mike -- thanks for the idea!

Any idea how the sign is affixed to the roof? Or is it "built-in" to the
shingles, as part of the roof?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 19th 03, 04:52 AM
Mike O'Malley

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Hi Mike -- thanks for the idea!

Any idea how the sign is affixed to the roof? Or is it "built-in" to the
shingles, as part of the roof?

I'm not sure, we never really flew THAT low It definatly looked like it was
part of the shingles, either painted, or contrasting ones tacked ontop of the
base ones.

One thing was for sure, our route had us fly over that place 4 to 8 times a day.
That "COLD BEER" sign was just torture when it's 95F outside, the sun is beating
on you, you've been up for 5 hours, and all your cooling air flow is coming
right off the motor.

And before anyone thinks I'm complaining, I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Mike

Old October 19th 03, 05:04 AM
Greg Burkhart

"Mike O'Malley" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Hi Mike -- thanks for the idea!

That "COLD BEER" sign was just torture when it's 95F outside,

Oh, ohh... Another pilot vs. beer discussion??? (lol)

I remember when I was (a lot) younger there was a lumber yard in a small
town that had an arrow painted on the roof pointing towards the airport
about 3 miles away. I haven't noticed many roof signs lately. A lost art?

Old October 19th 03, 05:29 AM
Cecil E. Chapman

Near my home airport (Reid-Hillview in San Jose), near the point where one
is typically asked to report at two miles on a 45 into the downwind, there
is a water tower that has "RHV 2.5 miles ---" pointing towards the airport.
Also at Half Moon Bay airport there is a 'roof mural' of Snoopy ontop his
Sopwith Camel. :-)

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

Check out my personal flying adventures: www.bayareapilot.com
"

Old October 19th 03, 05:55 AM
C J Campbell

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
| Hi Mike -- thanks for the idea!
|
| Any idea how the sign is affixed to the roof? Or is it "built-in" to the
| shingles, as part of the roof?

It could be just painted on, like in this WW II POW camp. Note "Pappy
Boyington Here" sign at far right.

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/...nty/35/pow.jpg

Old October 19th 03, 05:59 AM
C J Campbell

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

| "Jay Honeck" wrote in message
| | Hi Mike -- thanks for the idea!
| |
| | Any idea how the sign is affixed to the roof? Or is it "built-in" to
the
| | shingles, as part of the roof?
|
| It could be just painted on, like in this WW II POW camp. Note "Pappy
| Boyington Here" sign at far right.
|
| http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/...nty/35/pow.jpg

I suppose Jay could put "Pappy Boyington Slept Here" on his roof. :-)

Old October 19th 03, 06:11 AM
Ben Jackson

In article C3okb.815231$Ho3.223319@sccrnsc03,
Greg Burkhart wrote:
I haven't noticed many roof signs lately. A lost art?

I'm surprised at how many fields have things mowed into them.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old October 19th 03, 05:53 PM
Ash Wyllie

Greg Burkhart opined

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Hi Mike -- thanks for the idea!

That "COLD BEER" sign was just torture when it's 95F outside,

Oh, ohh... Another pilot vs. beer discussion??? (lol)

I remember when I was (a lot) younger there was a lumber yard in a small
town that had an arrow painted on the roof pointing towards the airport
about 3 miles away. I haven't noticed many roof signs lately. A lost art?

Seems to me that that sort of thing should be mandatory. As well as big flags
near airports.

-ash
for assistance dial MYCROFTXXX

Old October 19th 03, 06:35 PM
Mike O'Malley

Greg Burkhart opined

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Hi Mike -- thanks for the idea!

That "COLD BEER" sign was just torture when it's 95F outside,

Oh, ohh... Another pilot vs. beer discussion??? (lol)

I remember when I was (a lot) younger there was a lumber yard in a small
town that had an arrow painted on the roof pointing towards the airport
about 3 miles away. I haven't noticed many roof signs lately. A lost art?

Seems to me that that sort of thing should be mandatory. As well as big flags
near airports.

I always thought it was nice when the airport would paint their name on either
the ramp, or on a hanger's roof. One of the funnier ones though is DEC,
Decatur, IL. On their ramp, in 10 foot letters they wrote "DECATUR, IL" now, it
was nice to know I was near Decatur, but you have to be REALLY lost if you don't
know what STATE you're in, or if you mistake it for, say Decatur, AL.

--
Mike

idea: single occupant VTOLs.. (will it fly?) Eddie Home Built 5 April 20th 04 03:05 PM
A Brilliant Idea nafod40 Home Built 4 September 9th 03 10:33 PM
bulding a kitplane maybe Van's RV9A --- a good idea ????? Flightdeck Home Built 10 September 9th 03 07:20 PM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM
What's wrong with this idea? Ace Pilot Piloting 28 August 13th 03 03:51 PM