Special Issuance question

Old April 30th 05, 10:05 PM
UltraJohn

Default Special Issuance question

Does anyone have any direct knowledge on the SI for diabetes?
I currently am renewing my SI for an angioplasty and stent from 2 years ago,
I received one, it expired and applied again this time I passed the heart
part fine but my blood glucose was high so now they want a diabetes
evaluation. I'll probably go Sport Pilot if I get through this ok.
What I really need to know is what are the factors that would cause a
rejection of the SI.
Thanks
John

If you prefer private e-mail due to the possible personal subject.
japrice at mindspring dot com

Old April 30th 05, 10:40 PM
Jerry

If you are an AOPA member, go to their medical section of the web site and
read the diabetes section. Call AOPA if you have any questions.

Jerry in NC

nk.net...

Old April 30th 05, 10:49 PM
Juan Jimenez

Gyclosilated hemoglobin (A1C test) coming out high, like 9 or higher.
There's no set value but the closer you get to something like 6, the better.
The regular blood glucose tests don't really say much, but the A1C test says
how your blood sugar control has been over the past few months. Also, if you
are taking TOPROL XL for your heart pressure, you will NOT be given the
medical if your doc puts you on a sulfonylurea medicine such as glyburide,
glucophage or glucotrol. Suggest to the doctor to use Avandia instead (don't
change the Toprol, the alternatives have higher mortality rates). Your
doctor will say that that is absurd, and every doctor and AME I have talked
to will say the same thing, but for some reason Aeromedical is being
pigheaded about this, claiming that it's an issue when it really isn't
(toprol masks tachycardia, one of three symptoms of hypoglycemia,and it's
_supposed to do that_, they claim its an issue, 100% of doctors I've talked
to say it isn't).

I'm not a doctor, but I already went through this and did a truckload of
research on this issue trying to understand what were the issues, just
trying to save you some grief.

If your A1C is ok, then you don't have to worry about it, just have the
doctor give you an evaluation for diabetes and hope for the best. You may
simply be given a fasting blood test, or you may be given a glucose
tolerance test.

And of course, if you can live with sport pilot limitations, by all means do
everything you can to go that route and say byebye to the black hole of
Oklahoma.

Juan

nk.net...

Old May 1st 05, 02:59 PM
Ronald Gardner

John

I was the first diabetic my AME sent through, that was 5 years ago. The key is
regulation of the blood sugar. You will need 1 full year of A1C testing ( 1
every 3 months) all must be below 8.0! You will also need a report from an eye
doctor that you have no diabetic retinopathy (spelling?). You will need a full
EKG report, I assume from your post this has been done. This will be required
every 5 years at minimum.

Good luck, keep in mind that if your medical has expired (not deferred or
revoked) you may want to go Sport know! My understanding is that if the FAA
gets the reports and refuses the medical you can't go Sport either. If yours is
expired and you have a drivers license you can do it know. This comes from
several FAA seminars I've attended.

The thought is that if you know your next medical may be trouble, let it expire,
go sport!

Ron

Old May 1st 05, 08:33 PM
Juan Jimenez

"Ronald Gardner" wrote in message

My understanding is that if the FAA
gets the reports and refuses the medical you can't go Sport either.

Well, not quite, he can go sport but he would have to go through the
process, obtain the special issuance and then let it expire. I don't know if
he can actually get it and then surrender it and immediately go sport,
rather than have to wait 2 years.

Good call on the eye exam and other issues! I forgot those are required for
diabetics as well. I thought they were only required if you had heart
issues...

Juan

Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Phoenix AIM-54A (QUESTION) Krztalizer Naval Aviation 10 February 23rd 04 07:22 AM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM