Cessna Horn too quiet

Old July 14th 04, 05:46 AM

Default Cessna Horn too quiet

I'm a member of a club that has a Cessna 177RG.
I just got checked out in it today , and the gear horn is waaaay too quiet.

I want a gear horn that is soo loud it will make your teeth hurt.

A club member landed it gear up about 4 months ago, so the owner of this particular
plane would also like to make the gear horn louder.

Anyone else had this problem?

Anyoune else have a solution?

As the gear horn and stall warning horn are part of the required
equipment fro the initial certification, how hard is it to modify the system, to
pipe the sound into the audio panel?

Can you put a peizo buzzer on the horn?

Paul

Old July 14th 04, 05:15 PM

But there are times when it is completely reasonable to have the pressure
down low but the gear still stowed. I don't want my teeth hurting then
grin.

You can fly it that way, but I try to make it a point to not fly with the
gear horn on for more than a few seconds, if I have to dump the gear
and then pull it back up later I find that preferable to running with the gear horn on.

I realize that some aircraft have very restrictive gear operation speed limits,
and this may not always possible when operating in an ATC driven IFR environment.
Pulling the throttle back to the gear warning point above gear externsion speed probably
cools the engine too quickly and seems to be an indicator of poor descent planning.
Nothing says you can't slow down before you get to where you are going.

Maybe with all the cool new technology we will eventually have a smart GPS driven gear horn,
One that only goes off when less than 1K AGL within 2 miles of an airport.

Until that time I will do my best to never fly with the gear horn is on.

Flame away...

Paul

Old July 14th 04, 05:49 PM
Paul Anton

I'm a member of a club that has a Cessna 177RG.
I just got checked out in it today , and the gear horn is waaaay too

quiet.

I want a gear horn that is soo loud it will make your teeth hurt.

I found a electrolytic capacitor that had lost most of its capacity to be
the cause of a too quiet Cessna gear warning. This capacitor couples the
audio generated by the warning circuit to the aircraft audio.

Have you compared this aircraft's warning horn to another?

Cheers:

Paul

Old July 14th 04, 07:34 PM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
The Cutlass may differ from the R182 in this respect, but I dislike

cycling
the R182's gear any more than necessary. The system is hydraulic with no
backup in case one loses all the fluid.

I believe that the 172RG has a similar gear system to the 182RG.

Cycling the gear doesn't use up hydraulic fluid. It's stored back in the
reservoir for use at a later time.

Pete

Old July 14th 04, 07:56 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter Duniho wrote:

Cycling the gear doesn't use up hydraulic fluid. It's stored back in the
reservoir for use at a later time.

....assuming nothing is broken.

- Andrew

Old July 15th 04, 12:07 AM
Peter Duniho

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
gonline.com...
Cycling the gear doesn't use up hydraulic fluid. It's stored back in

the
reservoir for use at a later time.

...assuming nothing is broken.

Lots of bad things can happen to your airplane is something is broken. But
that doesn't mean you should avoid doing otherwise reasonable things with
your airplane, just because it *could* be broken.

Do you avoid extending the flaps, just because the flap motor could fail?
Do you avoid using carb heat, just because the cable could break? Do you
avoid adjusting the mixture, just because the cable could break? Do you
avoid making turns, just because the ailerons could get stuck?

No, of course not. Those are all things that are done as a normal pilot
input during any various part of a flight. Likewise, if there's call to
lower or raise the gear, the pilot should do that, rather than worrying that
the act of using some installed equipment on the plane might break that
equipment.

If you are really that worried that you'll break something on the plane,
then you should rethink whether that plane is one you really ought to be
flying in.

Pete

Old July 15th 04, 04:01 AM
BTIZ

turn off the ANR on your headset... but I agree.. a C177Rg I used to fly,
with a standard headset.. one could barely hear the gear horn.. perhaps it
should be piped into the headset?

BT