CAP volunteer?

Old October 2nd 04, 07:53 PM
Robert M. Gary

Default CAP volunteer?

Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
were helpful. Is CAP interested in civilian CFIs or just those with a
military background? What does it mean that some CAP orgs are "Cadet"
and some are "composite"? As a CFI would I need to commit to a large
chunk of time as a CFI or just a couple hours a weekend? There doesn't
seem to be much info on the web, they seem to just point you to the
local groups.

-Robert
Old October 2nd 04, 08:04 PM
Atlas

Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
were helpful. Is CAP interested in civilian CFIs or just those with a
military background? What does it mean that some CAP orgs are "Cadet"
and some are "composite"? As a CFI would I need to commit to a large
chunk of time as a CFI or just a couple hours a weekend? There doesn't
seem to be much info on the web, they seem to just point you to the
local groups.

As a CFI, you would probably be very helpful to CAP because at least in my
old squadron it was hard to find a CFI who could help out. You can't charge
any money for instruction in CAP. You don't need a military background.
Cadets don't get flight training except at special camps, so you would only
be instructing adults. You'll have to join and then jump through some hoops
before you'll be CAP qualified to fly their plane or instruct. It doesn't
have to be a large chunk of time, but I've seen retired guys spend a lot of
time with CAP, and guys with regular lives and jobs just spend a little
time. The quality of pilots you'll be working with will range from
excellent to scary. CAP is a goo thing because its a way to provide service
back to the aviation community. Go find a local squadron, visit their
regular meeting, and talk to the guy in charge. Hope you like lots of
useless paperwork.

Old October 2nd 04, 10:48 PM
Kevin Dunlevy

My son recruited me into the local CAP squadron shortly after I got my
private. In order to fly CAP aircraft (mostly 172s and 182s), a private
pilot must take a Form 5 check ride and pass a written test. The Form 5
check ride is to the private pilot PTS standards and must be taken once each
year after the initial check ride. After passing a Form 5 check ride, a CAP
pilot is eligible to fly CAP aircraft at and below the power and complexity
levels of the check ride aircraft.

After 200 PIC hours, a private pilot may fly cadet orientation flights. The
cadets range from about 13 to 18 years of age. CAP pays the aircraft time
for cadet orientation flights. Each cadet is allowed five glider and five
powered orientation flights. The powered flights are about one hour each.
Cadets can also train to solo gliders or powered aircraft at flight
academies. My son has soloed in CAP gliders and I hope he will solo in a 172
next summer in a flight academy. CAP flight academies are a real bargain for
primary flight training for cadets, since the instructors are all
volunteers.

Cadets can also take training for a private in CAP planes with CAP
instructors outside of the flight academies. Senior members cannot train for
their private in CAP planes, but are permitted to train for advanced ratings
in CAP planes with CAP instructors. I am presently working on my instrument
rating with a CAP CFII. A cadet or senior member student pilot must pay for
the plane, but cannot pay the instructor under CAP regulations.

After 175 PIC hours, a private pilot can train for search and rescue
missions and disaster relief missions. USAF pays the aircraft time for most
of the mission training and mission flying. I've flown about five actual
mission sorties and about twelve training mission sorties in the last year.

CAP has been a really great experience for me. I've learned a lot about
flying from instructors that are happy to teach and from the hangar flying
with pilots with far more experience than me. My kids were getting tried of
$100 hamburger flights, so CAP has given greater purpose to my flying. I
enjoy introducing cadets to flying, and I'm happy to donate my time to
search and rescue missions. I know I am a far better pilot for all the
training I have received. CAP has given me the opportunity to pursue my
avocation while doing good.

be welcomed by CAP and by CAP pilots. CAP members are volunteers, so you
are not required to fly, except the minimum amounts specified in the
regulations for proficiency. If you don't maintain the proficiency
requirements, you cannot fly a CAP aircraft. Your CFI time is volunteered,
so you do not have to train anyone unless you agree to do so. My CFII and I
currently fly Wednesday nights after work and on one weekend day. I plan to
fly cadet orientation flights the other weekend day.

Composite squadrons have both cadets and senior members. Squadrons may have
only cadets or senior members, or may have both seniors and cadets. I am in
a composite squadron. I think most CAP squadrons are composite squadrons,
but I don't know for sure. Kevin Dunlevy, Major, CAP

om...

Old October 2nd 04, 11:28 PM
C J Campbell

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
were helpful.

CAP is almost always looking for CFIs. If you join, they will make you a
captain.

Old October 3rd 04, 12:48 AM
Larry Dighera

I agree with all you've stated, and regarding:

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:04:28 GMT, "Atlas" wrote in
::

Cadets don't get flight training except at special camps, so you would only
be instructing adults.

I know the Los Alametos CAP used to train cadets in winch-towed
gliders. I suppose you'd need a CFIG to participate in that
operation.

Old October 3rd 04, 04:14 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Kevin Dunlevy" wrote in message news:2nF7d.157625$MQ5.57368@attbi_s52...
My son recruited me into the local CAP squadron shortly after I got my
private. In order to fly CAP aircraft (mostly 172s and 182s), a private
pilot must take a Form 5 check ride and pass a written test. The Form 5
check ride is to the private pilot PTS standards and must be taken once each
year after the initial check ride. After passing a Form 5 check ride, a CAP
pilot is eligible to fly CAP aircraft at and below the power and complexity
levels of the check ride aircraft.

Thanks. As an adult, if I join do I need to wear the uniform? I
currently wear a uniform as a Scout leader but the CAP uniforms look
too much like military. My father was a Naval officer so I wouldn't
want to give the impression that I was in the military.

-Robert
Old October 3rd 04, 05:02 AM
C J Campbell

[...]

The CAP is the civil auxiliary of the Air Force and is run by them. The Air
Force decides what the CAP uniform will be. Except for slight differences,
the CAP uniform has been the same as the AF uniform. Newer CAP uniforms look
a little less like their AF counterparts.

Adults are allowed to wear the uniform, but not all do. Go to a meeting and
see what the others do. You should wear a flight suit during exercises and
missions. The CAP blue flight suit is unpopular around here for several
reasons, not least that it makes you look like a Smurf.

Old October 3rd 04, 06:08 AM
BTIZ

CAP Cadets get both Glider and Power "Orientation" Flights.. 5 each, paid
for by CAP when the National/State budget allows.

Any "flight training" of CAP Cadets is paid for by the Cadet, at the same
cost as a CAP Sr Member would pay for the CAP Aircraft not directly
associated with a directed Mission or SAREX.

There is an agreement between CAP and SSA regarding glider orientation
flights.

BT

Old October 3rd 04, 06:34 AM
dancingstar

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Has anyone on this list working with CAP. I'm a CFI and would be
willing to donate some instruction if they were interested and if it
were helpful. Is CAP interested in civilian CFIs or just those with a
military background? What does it mean that some CAP orgs are "Cadet"
and some are "composite"? As a CFI would I need to commit to a large
chunk of time as a CFI or just a couple hours a weekend? There doesn't
seem to be much info on the web, they seem to just point you to the
local groups.

-Robert

I believe there is also a civilian branch of the CAP which is composed
of private pilots donating their time as they are able.

Antonio

Old October 3rd 04, 02:08 PM
Kevin Dunlevy

There are two types of uniforms, CAP Corporate and USAF. The CAP uniforms
include a blue polo shirt and gray trowsers, a white aviator shirt and gray
trowsers, a blue blazer with white shirt, tie and gray trowsers, and CAP
style flight suits. The USAF type uniforms include green nomex flight
suits, dress blue uniforms and BDUs. I typically fly in the blue polo shirt
and gray cotton trowsers in the summer because they are comfortable in warm
weather. The nomex flight suits get really hot unless you have the 172
cabin windows open. I like the flight suit in the winter because there are
lots of pockets for flashlights, cell phones, etc. The flight suits and
jackets don't keep you warm enough in winter, especially when fueling the
plane, so I add a wool hat, sweater, scarf, socks and overcoat, golashes,
and wind proof sweat pants when it is really cold. At my squadron's
meetings, there are often a mix of CAP corporate uniforms and USAF uniforms.

My Mom and Dad were both Naval officers in WWII. Mom was a nurse and Dad
was a Corsair pilot. My biggest mistake in life was not taking flight
training from my dad when offered it to me when I was in high school. He
was going to give me his CFI time for free, but I had to pay the $15 per
hour for the 172. I was making $1.10 per hour at McDonalds at the time.
Penny wise and pound foolish when I think of how much fun I missed not
flying for all those years. KD