A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Fall Instructor & Glider-port Recommendation

Old August 27th 19, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NMD
external usenet poster

Default Fall Instructor & Glider-port Recommendation

Hello again,

I am hoping to wrap up my private pilot glider certification this year in late October or November.
I fly out of Colorado and there will be snow on the ground in early October..
I am soloing and hope to have 10 to 15 hours of additional flight time through September & early October.

My club flys off a winch on a Blanik LS-23, so I’m looking for:

- Tow instruction (I have had none)

- A talented and kick ass instructor

- Instruction in a higher performance 2 seater glass ship

- A location with the opportunity to complete the flight exam with a CFI check-ride instructor onsite.

It would also be great to be able to take the written test at the same location, but I could take care of that ahead of time in Colorado.
I plan on taking off 7 to 9 days to pursue this goal and am willing to travel anywhere in the US.

I would be grateful for personal recommendations from pilots with excellent experiences with specific Flight Instructors, as I feel I lucked out with my CFI and hope to repeat the experience.

If your looking for a CFI in Colorado I have THE guy!

Thank you in advance for any and all reply’s!

Jason
Old August 27th 19, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:51:43 PM UTC-6, NMD wrote:
Hello again,

I am hoping to wrap up my private pilot glider certification this year in late October or November.
I fly out of Colorado and there will be snow on the ground in early October.
I am soloing and hope to have 10 to 15 hours of additional flight time through September & early October.

- A location with the opportunity to complete the flight exam with a CFI check-ride instructor onsite.

It would also be great to be able to take the written test at the same location, but I could take care of that ahead of time in Colorado.
I plan on taking off 7 to 9 days to pursue this goal and am willing to travel anywhere in the US.

I would be grateful for personal recommendations from pilots with excellent experiences with specific Flight Instructors, as I feel I lucked out with my CFI and hope to repeat the experience.

Jason

I can recommend Greg Mecklenberg from Big Sky Soaring in Bozeman, MT. He is also a DPE and can give you your check ride. He is an EXCELLENT instructor, but you will pay for it too. They have a SGS 2-33, a Blanik L-13 that was featured in Soaring Magazine a few months ago (newly factory refurbished) that they do most of their instructing in, and tow with a Piper Pawnee. I did my check ride with him last year in October, and I believe they fly until November, weather depending. They also have a winch, as well as a glass two-place glider (Duo Discus). They fly out of Three Forks, Bozeman, and now Pray, MT. If you are on FaceBook, check out Big Sky Soaring, or you can call (406) 580-5412.
Old August 27th 19, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:51:43 PM UTC-6, NMD wrote:
Hello again,

Jason

Sundance Aviation, Moriarty NM. Meets all your requirements and the weather is still quite good at that time of the year and should not be a factor.
Old August 27th 19, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas
external usenet poster

Free glider category checkrides at Marfa in southwest Texas.

See my post on this group.

Or e-mail marfagliders at A0L dot com for details.

Old August 27th 19, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Seminole-Lake in Florida, soarable pretty much every day.
Old August 28th 19, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gkemp
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 7:51:43 PM UTC-7, NMD wrote:
Hello again,

Jason

Williams soaring in California
Old August 28th 19, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rich Owen[_2_]
external usenet poster

Jason,

Seminole-Lake provides training 12 months a year in Clermont Fl, just 14 miles from the theme parks in Orlando. It provides a great combination of quality training and things to do besides flying. We can provide everything from initial training to competitive racing clinics. We do have accommodations on the field that are cost effective. Discounting weather, completing your training in the time allowed should not be a problem. However, we do suggest you complete the written exam prior to arriving. Give us a call if need additional information or check us out at www.soarfl.com.

Cheers,
Rich Owen
VP
Seminole Flying & Soaring