Chinese new regional jet

Old December 26th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Chinese new regional jet

Well, it has officially started.

China has rolled out a new jet that is a knockoff from an American passenger
jet.

From AvWeb:

Shenyang used much of the tooling left over from McDonnell-Douglas's aborted
attempt to build MD-90s in China and the "new" airplane has the same cabin
cross section and nose as the DC-9 family.

Does anyone have any doubt that China will copy any airplane that a
manufacturer decides to build there?

Cessna (and others) have screwed up, big time, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

Old December 26th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Morgans" wrote in message
Well, it has officially started.

China has rolled out a new jet that is a knockoff from an American
passenger jet.

From AvWeb:

Shenyang used much of the tooling left over from McDonnell-Douglas's
aborted attempt to build MD-90s in China and the "new" airplane has the
same cabin cross section and nose as the DC-9 family.

Does anyone have any doubt that China will copy any airplane that a
manufacturer decides to build there?

Cessna (and others) have screwed up, big time, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

Without a doubt, that culture doesn't respect the same business norms as
most western businesses.

That said, I think it'll be a long time before someone buys a knock-off
airliner pushed by knock-off engines and guided by knock-off avionics. I
just don't foresee a market for third rate aircraft.

Old December 27th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Kyle Boatright" said:
That said, I think it'll be a long time before someone buys a knock-off
airliner pushed by knock-off engines and guided by knock-off avionics. I
just don't foresee a market for third rate aircraft.

The company I'm currently working for nearly got knocked out of the
business because we were dumb enough to buy cheap Dell workstations that
had power supplies that had a cheap Chinese knock-off of a Japanese
designed capacitor that failed after a few months. Our customers really
did not like having their critical machines going dead after a few months,
and it was expensive as hell sending out hundreds of replacements.
Finally, our parent company used their clout on Dell to make them pay for
the cost of not only replacing the computers, but sending people out to
the customer sites to replace them all.

Dell's saving a few cents per computer cost them hundreds of dollars in
replacement costs, and cost us untold millions in customer goodwill.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"I kept the faith and I kept voting/Not for the iron fist but for the helping
Old December 27th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:54:18 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

That said, I think it'll be a long time before someone buys a knock-off
airliner pushed by knock-off engines and guided by knock-off avionics. I
just don't foresee a market for third rate aircraft.

I've heard it's equipped with such brand name gear as Garvin Avionics
and a choice of Gentleman Electric or Rolls Boyce engines...
Old December 27th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
muff528

"NW_Pilot" wrote in message
Look that they do to electronics, cars, and motorcycles.

..............& nukes

Old December 27th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Morgans" wrote:
Well, it has officially started.

China has rolled out a new jet that is a knockoff from an American
passenger jet.

From AvWeb:

Shenyang used much of the tooling left over from McDonnell-Douglas's
aborted attempt to build MD-90s in China and the "new" airplane has
the same cabin cross section and nose as the DC-9 family.

Does anyone have any doubt that China will copy any airplane that a
manufacturer decides to build there?

The story in question also states "According to United Press International,
the aircraft is the first-ever clean sheet airliner design by the Chinese."

Having the same cross section and nose as an entire family of aircraft is
mighty thin evidence to start claiming "knockoff".

Also, I'm pretty sure that U.S. corporations and governments have in
decades past ripped off design ideas when it suited them.

(Shucks, the U.S. sometimes doesn't just rip off designs but complete sets
of designers! Got a bunch of German rocket designers a few decades back.
And prior to that some airships and airship designs. Different wars, same
result: transfer of IP.)
Old December 27th 07, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig601XLBuilder

Kyle Boatright wrote:

"Morgans" wrote in message
Well, it has officially started.

China has rolled out a new jet that is a knockoff from an American
passenger jet.

From AvWeb:

Shenyang used much of the tooling left over from McDonnell-Douglas's
aborted attempt to build MD-90s in China and the "new" airplane has
the same cabin cross section and nose as the DC-9 family.

Does anyone have any doubt that China will copy any airplane that a
manufacturer decides to build there?

Cessna (and others) have screwed up, big time, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

Without a doubt, that culture doesn't respect the same business norms as
most western businesses.

That said, I think it'll be a long time before someone buys a knock-off
airliner pushed by knock-off engines and guided by knock-off avionics.
I just don't foresee a market for third rate aircraft.

Just the loss of the business in China, who I assume will but the
planes, will hurt the companies that are ripped off.
Old December 27th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Clay[_2_]

On Dec 26, 5:54*pm, "Kyle Boatright" wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message

Well, it has officially started.

China has rolled out a new jet that is a knockoff from an American
passenger jet.

From AvWeb:

Shenyang used much of the tooling left over from McDonnell-Douglas's
aborted attempt to build MD-90s in China and the "new" airplane has the
same cabin cross section and nose as the DC-9 family.

Does anyone have any doubt that China will copy any airplane that a
manufacturer decides to build there?

Cessna (and others) have screwed up, big time, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

Without a doubt, that culture doesn't respect the same business norms as
most western businesses.

That said, I think it'll be a long time before someone buys a knock-off
airliner pushed by knock-off engines and guided by knock-off avionics. *I
just don't foresee a market for third rate aircraft.- Hide quoted text -

The Chineese are over populated as it is. Perhaps their new airliner
is the Chineese government's attempt at controlling their over
population problem.
Old December 28th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

That said, I think it'll be a long time before someone buys a knock-off
airliner pushed by knock-off engines and guided by knock-off avionics. I
just don't foresee a market for third rate aircraft.

If its certified and it costs half the price it will sell.
If I remember correctly almost are whole trade with Japan is boeing.
Airplanes are the only thing we still build.