A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Region-6 North 5/28 - 6/4 Ionia

Old February 4th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler
external usenet poster

Default Region-6 North 5/28 - 6/4 Ionia

Andy,

Thanks for your comment.

I get what you are saying. That said please let me clarify what I meant by Ionia's 2011 Region 6 North Contest being a safe one (in no way meaning to claim our contest was safer than another)...

1) Our Contest director, Andy McQuigg, is very passionate about safety & having fun (in that order) during the contest. He seems to me (after several planning meetings) to be a considerable stickler for safety and obviously cares about it VERY deeply. I'm absolutely sure that this attitude is the norm within SSA sanctioned contests, but we are nonetheless extremely happy and privileged to have Andy directing our contest and ensuring high safety standards at all times throughout to the best of his ability. I dont know what more we can ask for beyond that.

2) Ionia, Michigan itself happens to be located in a very flat farming region of Mid lower Michigan. The area is almost 100% farmland and the largest elevation change is basically nil. Furthermore, at this point in the season (late May, early June) most farm fields will be devoid of crops and highly land-able. I think this is a consideration for a first time contest pilot (of which we will have several to 6-7). The flying area has many small local airports which can be considered as options for new contest pilots heading out on tasks. From this perspective the Ionia, MI region is a fairly nice area to fly from a ease of use or newer contest pilot perspective.

Map of Ionia Flying Area (Orange dots are airports): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...809509&t=p&z=9

Best,

Sean
Lak17a
F2
Old February 4th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95
external usenet poster

Default Region-6 North 5/28 - 6/4 Ionia

On Feb 4, 10:10*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
Andy,

Thanks for your comment.

I get what you are saying. *That said please let me clarify what I meant by Ionia's 2011 Region 6 North Contest being a safe one (in no way meaning to claim our contest was safer than another)...

1) Our Contest director, Andy McQuigg, is very passionate about safety & having fun (in that order) during the contest. *He seems to me (after several planning meetings) to be a considerable stickler for safety and obviously cares about it VERY deeply. *I'm absolutely sure that this attitude is the norm within SSA sanctioned contests, but we are nonetheless extremely happy and privileged to have Andy directing our contest and ensuring high safety standards at all times throughout to the best of his ability. *I dont know what more we can ask for beyond that.

2) Ionia, Michigan itself happens to be located in a very flat farming region of Mid lower Michigan. *The area is almost 100% farmland and the largest elevation change is basically nil. *Furthermore, at this point in the season (late May, early June) most farm fields will be devoid of crops and highly land-able. *I think this is a consideration for a first time contest pilot (of which we will have several to 6-7). *The flying area has many small local airports which can be considered as options for new contest pilots heading out on tasks. *From this perspective the Ionia, MI region is a fairly nice area to fly from a ease of use or newer contest pilot perspective.

Map of Ionia Flying Area (Orange dots are airports): *http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...e=&q=Airports&...

Best,

Sean
Lak17a
F2 *

IMHO - Andy McQuigg is an AWESOME CD! ... just sayin'

Curt - 95