Region-6 North 5/28 - 6/4 Ionia

Old February 4th 11, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Region-6 North 5/28 - 6/4 Ionia

Andy,

Thanks for your comment.

I get what you are saying. That said please let me clarify what I meant by Ionia's 2011 Region 6 North Contest being a safe one (in no way meaning to claim our contest was safer than another)...

1) Our Contest director, Andy McQuigg, is very passionate about safety & having fun (in that order) during the contest. He seems to me (after several planning meetings) to be a considerable stickler for safety and obviously cares about it VERY deeply. I'm absolutely sure that this attitude is the norm within SSA sanctioned contests, but we are nonetheless extremely happy and privileged to have Andy directing our contest and ensuring high safety standards at all times throughout to the best of his ability. I dont know what more we can ask for beyond that.

2) Ionia, Michigan itself happens to be located in a very flat farming region of Mid lower Michigan. The area is almost 100% farmland and the largest elevation change is basically nil. Furthermore, at this point in the season (late May, early June) most farm fields will be devoid of crops and highly land-able. I think this is a consideration for a first time contest pilot (of which we will have several to 6-7). The flying area has many small local airports which can be considered as options for new contest pilots heading out on tasks. From this perspective the Ionia, MI region is a fairly nice area to fly from a ease of use or newer contest pilot perspective.

Map of Ionia Flying Area (Orange dots are airports): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...809509&t=p&z=9

Best,

Sean
Lak17a
F2
Old February 4th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95

On Feb 4, 10:10*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

Map of Ionia Flying Area (Orange dots are airports): *http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...e=&q=Airports&...

Best,

Sean
Lak17a
F2 *

IMHO - Andy McQuigg is an AWESOME CD! ... just sayin'

Curt - 95

Region-6 North 5/28 - 6/4 Ionia Sean Fidler Soaring 1 February 3rd 11 04:09 PM
Region-6 North 5/28 - 6/4 Ionia Barny Soaring 2 February 2nd 11 05:25 AM
Region 3 contestants Welcome-Region Six North Contest Ionia November Bravo Soaring 0 August 13th 09 12:53 PM
Region 4 North user Soaring 0 September 6th 07 01:24 AM
USA Region 6N Ionia, MI in 2007? CLewis95 Soaring 2 July 24th 07 09:22 AM