GA is priceless

Old December 28th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default GA is priceless

We just returned from a quick, overnight flight to Wisconsin, to attend
a holiday gathering of family and friends, and I simply couldn't help
but remark on the incredible utility and convenience of GA.

In 90 minutes (as opposed to 5.5 hours) we were parked on the ramp in
Racine, plugging Atlas in for the night. Twenty minutes later, we were
sipping egg nog and enjoying the warmth of the holiday spirit with
Mary's family.

Today, we slept in late, enjoyed a late brunch with friends, and flew
home in 100 minutes. The kids were back home, playing with their new
games, 20 minutes after we landed.

3 hours and 10 minutes of enjoyable, XM-radio-enhanced flight, versus
11 hours of mind-numbing driving through aggravating Chicago-area
traffic. God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 28th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 28th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Jose wrote:

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose

Darwin would take care of that!
Old December 28th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Orval Fairbairn writes:

Darwin would take care of that!

Darwin would do so at such high expense in lives and property damage
that GA would rapidly be outlawed.

Those who have the time and money to become pilots are fortunate that
there are so many other people who don't.

Old December 28th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Jose wrote:

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose

Darwin would take care of that!

Once upon a time that was true. Lately the "Guvmint" won't let Darwin do
his thing so well anymore.

Jay B

Old December 28th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jose wrote:

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose

Darwin would take care of that!

Once upon a time that was true. Lately the "Guvmint" won't let Darwin do
his thing so well anymore.

Jay B

The "Guvmint" let's it happen all the time. This link
http://www.nsc.org/issues/driving/me...05fatality.htm at the National
Safety Council was a look at traffic death during Memorial Day weekend 2005.
They estimated there would be 25,400 disabling non-fatal auto accidents and
3,747 fatalities. That's in one long weekend.

But you are right, given the risk aversion that has swept and IMHO weakened
this country I really surprised that driving hasn't become as regulated as
flying.

Old December 28th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

But you are right, given the risk aversion that has swept and IMHO weakened
this country I really surprised that driving hasn't become as regulated as
flying.

It's less regulated in the sense that just about anybody can get a
license and drive. It's more regulated (there's a better phrase but I
can't think of it) in the sense that minima are much higher. In
aviation, it is legal to do things that require skill, and prudent not
to if you don't have the skill. In driving, if it requires skill, it is
illegal. For example, it's illegal to go seventy miles an hour, but it
is perfectly legal to fly 210 feet above the ground while in clouds.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 30th 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

Jose wrote:

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose

Darwin would take care of that!

Once upon a time that was true. Lately the "Guvmint" won't let Darwin do
his thing so well anymore.

Jay B

The "Guvmint" let's it happen all the time. This link
http://www.nsc.org/issues/driving/me...05fatality.htm at the National
Safety Council was a look at traffic death during Memorial Day weekend 2005.
They estimated there would be 25,400 disabling non-fatal auto accidents and
3,747 fatalities. That's in one long weekend.

They will have about 12 times that number of deaths in a year. If the
multiplier holds true that is almost 400,000 disabling injuries per
year. However it depends on what they mean by disabling. Missed
work, broken bones, hospitalized, or permanent disabilities? That
makes the number sustaining injuries almost unbelievably large.
..

But you are right, given the risk aversion that has swept and IMHO weakened
this country I really surprised that driving hasn't become as regulated as
flying.

That is because the average driver isn't smart enough to know it can
happen to him/her/them. It'll always be the other guy. So they make
their own rules of the road and with every one driving by their own
rules who knows what the car ahead is going to do be it coming or
going. There was a note in the local paper a while back stating that
every one knew it was far safer to drive in the passing lane and
probably close to 50% around here do so. That means some one pulling
out from your right will probably cross in front of you and into the
passing land. Never mind when some one pulls out your natural tendency
is to go left to miss them. It's not uncommon to see one from the
left go to the passing lane while one from the right goes to the
driving lane when they pull out, crossing in front of you.

It's difficult enough to get them to wear seat belts let alone
shoulder harnesses. I think the figure is some where up around 75% are
finally wearing seat belts, or restraining devices. We had to have
more powerful air bags to protect *unrestrained* passengers compared
to other countries.

Of course in Midland the have most of the traffic signs painted on the
road surfaces instead of overhead. One snow and no one knows which
road or lane goes where.
Drivers will not put up with things they find inconvenient.

So far, bicyclists and pedestrians are still fair game. You hit
another car and kill some one it'll probably be manslaughter and jail
time. Run over a pedestrian of bicyclists and it the court is in a
bad mood you might get a 6 month suspension.

Highway deaths and injuries doesn't even garner a mention in the local
papers or TV news unless it's a really bad one or buss load of kids.
Most don't even give them a second thought unless some one they know
was involved.

They have become "the *accepted* cost of doing business with "I think
it was 43,000 plus change, killed last year. Multiply by many times
for personal injuries which totals up to many billions of dollars in
medical bills (not counting the suffering) and more billions of
dollars in lost wages and production in industry.

One type of plane has five fatals in a year and there is an
investigation, the results of which will most likely cost the rest of
us money.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old December 29th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mad8

people said that about motorcycle riders for years, but stats show that
the "squid" factor is actually increasing...

Old December 30th 06, 10:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 01:40:57 GMT, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
Jose wrote:

God almighty, I can't understand for the life of me why there
isn't an airplane in every American garage...

Would you really want Joe Sixpack on approach doing his lipstick with a
cellphone in his ear?

Jose

Darwin would take care of that!

Yah, but all us pilots would be exposed to them thar drivers!

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Dual glide slope, $95...priceless! Jack Allison Owning 20 October 22nd 06 03:45 AM
Priceless Tugs kojak Owning 0 August 9th 05 10:25 PM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan Pechs1 Naval Aviation 34 March 7th 04 06:27 AM
"Priceless" in Afghanistan BUFDRVR Military Aviation 15 February 28th 04 04:17 PM
Priceless in Afganistan breyfogle Military Aviation 18 February 24th 04 05:54 AM