Forgot to close flight plan

Old April 2nd 04, 04:19 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Default Forgot to close flight plan

Ok, I did it today, first time ever, after ferrying my newly purchased
152 home. I realized about an hour after landing that I'd forgotten. I
called the FSS and they'd informed me that they'd called the tower who
had confirmed my landing and thus the plan had been closed. I felt like
a complete ass.

How big a deal is this? I'm afraid to ask anybody at my FBO. I'm not
gonna get a letter am I??

Old April 2nd 04, 04:23 AM
John Harper

It's no big deal at all. Obviously you shouldn't do it but
nothing bad will happen, and you'll remember next time.
Maybe the time after that too, but eventually you'll forget
again.

Only time I ever did it (I rarely use VFR flight plans)
was at Furnace Creek. When I remembered, they'd sent
the local representative of the law to the airport.

John

Old April 2nd 04, 04:20 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Paul Folbrecht said:
How big a deal is this? I'm afraid to ask anybody at my FBO. I'm not
gonna get a letter am I??

Not a big deal. I've done it twice and never heard another word about it.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
Old April 5th 04, 08:43 PM
S Narayan

said:
How big a deal is this? I'm afraid to ask anybody at my FBO. I'm not
gonna get a letter am I??

Not a big deal. I've done it twice and never heard another word about it.

Depends. I forgot to do it once at a remote airport without tower. I
realised about an hour later and called in to close the FP and they told me
they were trying to find me and had asked other pilots about my aircraft.
Fortunately a full scale search had not developed. Glad I called in and
checked with the FSS. Felt like an ass. So, it could be an inconvenience to
ATC and other pilots, so don't take this lightly.

Old April 5th 04, 09:46 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "S Narayan" said:
Depends. I forgot to do it once at a remote airport without tower. I
realised about an hour later and called in to close the FP and they told me

One time I was flying to Saranac Lake, and I decided at the last minute
(after losing flight following) to do a bit of a scenic flyby of the Lake
Placid area before landing. I didn't think I was an hour past my ETA, but
I must have been because I heard a call on Saranac Lake's CTAF asking if I
was on the frequency, and when I said I was, the caller said that FSS had
called the FBO to see if I was there because I hadn't closed my flight
plan.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
Old April 8th 04, 01:16 AM
vincent p. norris

I didn't think I was an hour past my ETA, but I must have been
because I heard a call on Saranac Lake's CTAF asking if I
was on the frequency,...

You may not have been. Twenty or thirty years ago I landed at
Hastings, NB, at my ETA. But when I strolled into the FSS to close my
flight plan, I was surprised to hear a guy sitting there calling my
number into his mike.

I was glad to see him taking his job seriously. ((:-))

vince norris
Old April 5th 04, 09:55 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"S Narayan" wrote in message

Depends. I forgot to do it once at a remote airport without tower. I
realised about an hour later and called in to close the FP and they told

me
they were trying to find me and had asked other pilots about my aircraft.
Fortunately a full scale search had not developed. Glad I called in and
checked with the FSS. Felt like an ass. So, it could be an inconvenience
to ATC and other pilots, so don't take this lightly.

He's talking about a VFR flight plan. There's no connection between control
towers and VFR flight plans, ATC wouldn't even know if you had filed a VFR
flight plan or not.

Old April 6th 04, 01:15 AM
S Narayan

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"S Narayan" wrote in message

Depends. I forgot to do it once at a remote airport without tower. I
realised about an hour later and called in to close the FP and they told

me
they were trying to find me and had asked other pilots about my

aircraft.
Fortunately a full scale search had not developed. Glad I called in and
checked with the FSS. Felt like an ass. So, it could be an inconvenience
to ATC and other pilots, so don't take this lightly.

He's talking about a VFR flight plan. There's no connection between

control
towers and VFR flight plans, ATC wouldn't even know if you had filed a VFR
flight plan or not.

I know, ATC gets involved when FSS requests ATC to find the missing pilot.
The field may be completed unattended as in my case (Trinity Center, CA) and
FSS has no way to find out if the pilot made it safely. ATC then contacts
other pilots who are flying in to to the same airport after that missing
pilot (or divert other pilot(s), if willing, to check at that airport). It
is one of few times when filing a FP is a boon and a curse.

Old April 11th 04, 03:45 AM
Kevin Darling

Here's another good reason to close your flight plan right away : if
you're flying a plane that is shared by others.

On my first x-ctry solo flight, I called to open my flight plan from A
to B. The FSS person kept saying they couldn't do that, because the
plane was already registered on a flight plan from B to A.

There were a couple of minutes of confusion, when suddenly I
remembered that I had taken off only about 15 minutes after the last
student had landed from his own solo x-ctry. So I keyed the mike and
said "Hey, I think the last student didn't close his plan yet." FSS
came back right away and laughed, "Okay, that did it. I closed his
out and yours came up!"

Whew! I almost turned back because of that.

Kev
Old April 11th 04, 03:53 AM
Newps

Kevin Darling wrote:

Whew! I almost turned back because of that.

What?