Accident report on the midair at Tenino

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 11th 04, 07:55 PM
C J Campbell

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , C J Campbell wrote:
I have always been told that it is impossible to pitch down if your

engine
comes off. You will pitch up, stall, and die.

This was something we often discussed in our hangar lying sessions at
SPX. There was quite a bit of speculation that if you immediately
prevented the stall by pushing forward, you'd be able to survive the
loss of the engine. I guess this has been proven, at least for the
C170B.

off, you don't lose your nose gear!) At the same time, losing all that
weight might improve your glide significantly.

It would be balanced by the fact the aerodynamically-shaped cowling has
gone, and has been replaced by a decidedly un-aerodynamic flat firewall.

The aerodynamic shaped cowling means little in a Cessna. You have that prop
that is still spinning and creating as much drag as disk that size.