Cheap Airplane

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 28th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil

Default Cheap Airplane

Recent discussions about whether or not general aviation is dying
prompted me to start thinking about why it doesn't seem to be possible
to build a really cheap airplane. I know that you can buy a trike or
an ultralight for around $20,000. But you can't really go cross
country in one of those, and you would probably have a hard time
convincing most wives to even consider going up in one at all.

I assume that the reason an airplane like a trike is so cheap is that
it is structurally simple and easy to manufacture. If that is the
case, then to make a cheap airplane that can cruise fast enough to go
somewhere, and do so in reasonable comfort, you need to simplify the
structure.

Which made me remember the article I read about the Facetmobile. For
those of you unfamiliar with this airplane, here is a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facetmobile

It seems like someone could manufacture a pretty inexpensive airplane
if they used this type of design. If someone could manufacture a
cross-country-capable airplane for around 30 thousand, I would think
they could sell a lot of them.

Making a cheaper airplane would certainly go a long way toward helping
general aviation to grow.

Flying on the Cheap - VOX [email protected] Home Built 6 February 27th 06 03:01 AM
Cheap IO-540 available Orval Fairbairn Home Built 1 February 20th 05 10:08 PM
cheap avgas Dan Luke Owning 10 December 24th 04 04:15 AM
Screwing on the Cheap Bob Hoover Home Built 1 November 1st 04 01:25 PM
Any cheap bastards here? Paul Tomblin Instrument Flight Rules 11 August 17th 03 03:57 PM