Venting of Lycoming 0-290 D Engine

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 29th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Default Venting of Lycoming 0-290 D Engine

On Apr 28, 5:36*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"stol" wrote in message

I wonder what the answer is, and why that solution would be a problem. I'm
sure
it has been tried, since it seems there is truly nothing new under the sun,
when
it comes to airplanes.
--
Jim in NC

*You have hurt my feelings again....... :((

Whoops!

Sorry.

That should have read "nothing new under the sun, when it comes to the _old_
designed air cooled opposed aircraft engines.

Or something like that! ;-)

Speaking of auto engine aircraft, how do you handle the crankcase ventilation
issue? *Vent overboard, or recirculate?
--
Jim in NC

I have tried three ways. The first was to recirculate using a PCV
valve. At the time it seems to be the most logical. The motor was
still fresh and has a slight amount of blowby. That system made it
real twitchy to try to lean, but is was doable. my second concept was
the racing vacuum system used in dragsters, That did work great but I
am now on my third design of the exhaust pipes. those don't have the
fittings welded in them for the vacuum so I dump the stuff overboard,
what little blowby there is. This is like developing software.
Version 1.0,,, 1.2,,,, 2.0,,, 2.3... Yada Yada yada... On the final
engines that will go out the door they will incorporate the Moroso
vacuum system. Hands down,, the more power you make the greater the
suction. Just what a aircraft engine needs.