Ads-b and sailplanes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4th 15, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default Ads-b and sailplanes

On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 2:18:47 AM UTC-5, Mike Schumann wrote:

Let's all be honest with the facts. Saying that PowerFlarm gives you "excellent" warning for Mode C equipped aircraft is a stretch. What you are really getting is a warning that tells you the altitude of the potential threat aircraft, and a rough estimate of its distance, based on some crude assumptions from the received power level of the transponder signal. Other than that, you have absolutely no idea where this aircraft is.

Well let's see. My PF gives me the altitude difference (unless you are co-altitude, it's REALLY hard to have a mid-air) and whether the Mode C traffic is getting closer or not. That is plenty of information in the VFR environment we fly gliders in, considering our maneuverability and great visibility, to put all emphasis on visual scan and finding the approaching traffic.. Or do you not believe you can see other airplanes while flying VFR?

Meanwhile, do you fly with ANY of your magic UAT ADS-B hardware when you fly your (or your club's) glider? If so, I would love to know what you have installed.

Meanwhile, I'm also getting precise position of all the fast movers via the 1090ES part of PF, and really precise collision avoidance of other PF-equipped gliders.

I guess we'll see in a few years who is right - because if the majority of ADS-B out installations in the US end up using 1090ES out, or even dual band to take advantage of the free weather and traffic info (remember, traffic info is actually just a benefit of the ADS-B program, not the raison-d'etre!), then PF will have nailed it on the head.

If this A/C is UAT ADS-B OUT equipped, this is all you will see with your PowerFlarm system. With a properly designed ADS-B receiver (either dual frequency or one supporting TIS-B and ADS-R), you would see the exact position of this aircraft within ~50 ft. If you had a NavWorx or similar transceiver, and you were within range of an ADS-B ground station, using TIS-B, you would also see the location of every other transponder equipped aircraft that is visible to ATC, regardless of whether or not it was ADS-B OUT equipped.

So, describe what ADS-B hardware, displays, software YOU would install in your glider, today. And the cost.

PowerFLARM is the only ADS-B receiver being sold in the US that is not designed to properly handle the dual frequency UAT / 1099ES environment that is the reality in US airspace. This is a huge shortcoming in the product that raises a lot of questions about the competency of the design team that put this system together.

Wow, you really have an issue with the success of Flarm, don't you? I guess the fact that it has proven to be highly successful in the rest of the world, and is practically mandatory in Europe (France for sure), and that in those markets there is NO UAT ADS-B, and that the market for PF in the US is pretty much limited to the XC and racing community, must really **** you off. Hey, go ahead and load up you glider with your fancy UAT gizmos and give us a report on how it all works - an article in Soaring would be awesome!

Meanwhile, I'll stick to what I have, knowing that it works.

Cheers,

Kirk
66

Sailplanes currently in production?? [email protected] Soaring 0 November 10th 11 01:02 AM
LS-1 sailplanes in the USA Burt Compton - Marfa Soaring 2 November 2nd 10 12:08 AM
Please ID 3 sailplanes Every time Soaring 4 August 20th 08 09:34 PM
Cheap sailplanes tango4 Soaring 100 December 21st 04 08:21 PM
50+:1 15m sailplanes Paul T Soaring 92 January 19th 04 01:59 AM