FAA Permanently Revokes Pilot's License over ADS-B

Old May 19th 21, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default FAA Permanently Revokes Pilot's License over ADS-B

On 5/18/2021 2:12 PM, AS wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 2:13:36 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I'm very disturbed by the idea that airspace NOTAMS can change after I've taken off. Why
should I or anyone waste their time looking at them on the ground, if they have to contact
ATC in the air as they approach the airspace, so they know what the airspace status is?

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

That seems to happen more often than one would think! Talk to the guys who fly the ridges in Central PA. When the POTUS decides to hop in a chopper and spend the weekend at Camp David, the no-fly zone around it covers a good part of the ridge(s). I am sure a NOTAM will be published but you will not know about it until you get visited by a black helicopter.
A similar thing happened a number of years ago when the POTUS was campaigning for reelection in OH. A NOTAM for a 'moving no-fly' zone was issued for the corridor between Toledo and Columbus but not even the ATC in that area knew, where the motorcade was at any moment. I inquired about it with Akon/Canton and their response was 'Well - do you see any Black Hawks circling you? No? Good - then you are not in it, yet!' We decided to pack it in for the day and fire up the grill.

I'm sure POTUS is a special problem, but it's never been an issue for me in the 30 some
years I've been checking NOTAMS (where I fly there are usually very few voters). I'm not
aware of any NOTAMS that changed while I was flying. Aside from POTUS, has this happened
to anyone, did it cause you to violate airspace, and was official action taken against you?

What are the regulations for NOTAMS; e.g., are they strictly "informational" and you
depend on them at your risk? I've always assumed they could be issued at any time, but it
was understood pilots might not know about them for at least 4 to 8 hours, and you should
have it issued no later than the day before if at all possible.

Old May 19th 21, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 7:53:55 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 5/18/2021 2:12 PM, AS wrote:
[...]

It is my experience that NOTAMS can be issued at any time. NOTAMS are enforceable and some can lead up to 100K fines, even one year in prison. If a runway was closed and a NOTAM was issued and you landed at that runway are you guilty of a violation posted by a NOTAM ? I wish I had the answer, but I guess we all could be guilty at some point in time.
I can tell you this, I am a commercial drone operator and I also hold a PPL, along with my 107 UAS certification. If I violate airspace that is restricted to drone operation the violation also goes against my PPL. Now I can get authorization to operate in no fly areas, but I must go through the FAA for approval which can take as long as 90 days. If I am doing thermal imaging with a drone, I make damn sure that I am operating outside of controlled airspace. The point here is that it does not take a NOTAM for me to be held responsible for violating airspace. I can fly my airplane or glider over a state wildlife reserve, but not my drone, go figure.
Old May 19th 21, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:00:27 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 11:35:16 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
The parrot wasn't squawking ADS-B, that's for sure. I see an occasional
C-17 transmitting it, but it seems most military traffic isn't equipped
even today.
On 5/17/21 12:35 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
We only did that during certain mission profiles. Otherwise the parrot
was squawking.

Dan
5J

Become a military pilot...they will turn tracking off, when they
choose.

For obvious reasons I would think that most military traffic would not be ADS-B broadcasting. I certainly know the ones going into 2901 are NOT. There have been a couple of points here on this thread that are very interesting. One was that Ole Andy is clueless about Restricted Zone operation. The good point that Tony made was that ATC has the latest operational information on Hot or Cold for these restricted areas. Each Restricted area has an ATC zone that is responsible for that information, in our case it is Miami Center. That Center has a mission desk that receives operational status the day or afternoon prior as to the operational times for that specific RA.
For our area that information comes from MacDill AFB usually around 4pm, As Tony stated do not plan on using the NOTAM as the true determination as to whether the zone is HOT or Cold. These zones can change within a few hours notice. You can call the mission desk for that center and as in our case they are always very informative as to the operational hours. I my case I will call the Mission desk, get the current status of each area within that RA, there is usually a 4 hour window for a zone to become operational. I always check with the ATC to confirm the current status to double check the status, I do this by calling Miami ATC on the radio as I am approaching the RA. Keep in mind that these areas are multi purpose military training areas, aircraft, helicopter, artillery, and special warfare training takes place in some of these RA areas. I have has a F-18 circle me outside of the RA while in the MOA, we gave each other the thumbs up, it was great. Old Bob

Hey Robby, you, as usual, are totally confused. I was NOT referring to how you obtain permission to enter a restricted area, but how the FAA might react if someone files a complaint about your flight into a restricted area. And it WAS a question - not a statement.

And you might actually look into why most military aircraft aren't equipped with ADS-B. Hint: it is not for the reason you think it is. BTW, military aircraft are subject to ALL the rules that apply to non-government aircraft..

Also, some may interpret you derisive comments referring to Amos and Andy as being racist.

Tom
Old May 19th 21, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 11:20:27 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
[...]

Andy, you were totally clueless about the Restricted Area operation, you comment was ,"Is The FAA Going To Check And See If The Restricted Area Was Hot"? You of all people should know that the FAA knows when an area is hot or not, they issue the NOTAM and updates.
Now about Amos & Andy, it was hilarious comedy, along with All In The Family, The Jeffersons, and the Three Stooges, you fit the mold, I guess I could have called you Meathead, or Curley, but Andy fit you much better. Your buddy, The Purist! Old Bob
Old May 19th 21, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 8:07:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

My point about the real-time aspect of Special Use Airspace is that it can be NOTAMed hot all week and get used for 20 minutes. Sector knows even better than desk jockey.
Old May 20th 21, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 10:39:51 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I realize that we have deviated quiet a bit from the original topic, but this discussion does come into play for most every glider pilot flying near any SUA. There are some aspects of the SUA that I still have questions about and I do have some first hand knowledge about how these SUA's are investigated. The ADS-B component makes it much easier for the FAA to determine the actual infraction as demonstrated by the under the bridge flight. I guess most of us have done something similar at some point, no, I guess we all have.
It will be interesting to see what the next few years will bring to soaring, I guess at some point we will all be required to have some type of ADS-B out. During the next 18 months drone manufacturers are being required to have ADS-B on new drone equipment, which I do believe includes the transmitter and the drone. Also within the next 36 months or so all non compliant equipment must be updated. My point is, isn't it getting a bit crazy out there?
Big Brother Is Watching! The Purist, Old Bob
Old May 20th 21, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 at 5:07:33 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Hey Robby, and you know the FAA knows HOW? ATC is one division, enforcement another. And you idiotically assume that they actually TALK to each other? Give me a break - you are more gullible than I thought!

Your comments might very well be considered racist by many these days, but you are not of a mind to see that. We might as well call you Black Face Bob..

Tom
Old May 20th 21, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 1:57:26 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
[...]

2G, you have reversed your position since the beginning of the thread. ATC will contact FSDO if they observe a violation.
Old May 20th 21, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 6:36:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Andy is struggling with reality and emotions rule his every thought, I think it might just be the Motorglider Disease. Poor Andy has no idea how the system can work, has no idea of RAS and how it operates. Ole Andy might just give the lady a call and ask her how it works, she probably could educate him a bit. The Purist, Old Bob
Old May 21st 21, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 4:30:00 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Hey Robby, your racist comments aren't welcome here.