My Apache Training

Old November 23rd 03, 08:51 PM
Mark S Conway

Default My Apache Training

I recently purchased my first twin.
A 1957 Piper Apache.
I have been training in it for my Multi, Commercial, Instrument all at
once.
I am very impressed on how this thing handles.
We finally got into all the single engine ops today, and I am grinning from
ear to ear. We did actual shut downs and securing.
The VMC demo is almost non existing. We went past 85mph right to about 60mph
and then it stalled. And the stalls themselves, both power on and off are
very subtle, just a buffet, no break.
I am very happy with this plane and cant wait for the checkride.
PS: We have been training full fuel , max gross or close to it....

Mark

Old November 23rd 03, 10:09 PM
DaveSproul

I am very happy with this plane

I'm jealous. The only solo multi flying I did was in a '50s era Apache, now
known as N747EB. Felt great! Very smooth and forgiving, but the VMC demo was
new and sobering for this single-engine pilot.

Still, the plane was my best ace for impressing prospective dates. I got my
ASMEL before graduating from high school.

David Sproul, Bethesda, MD

Old November 23rd 03, 10:31 PM
markjen

Sounds fun, but I was under the impression that doing full stalls under
high-power Vmc demonstrations in light twins as specifically not
recommended. The following source seems to saying this:

http://www.faatest.com/books/FLT/Cha...nstrations.htm

- Mark

Old November 24th 03, 08:55 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Inverted flat spins are generally not recommended...

Old November 24th 03, 09:04 PM
Dennis O'Connor

What's your date of manufacture?
My Apache, was licensed 3/27/57 and given the tail number 3057P....
Sounds like you also have the dorsal fin and wing cuffs, they do make vmc a
non event...
I have been considering putting the sheared wing tips on because they
increase climb and cruise performance, but I like the looks of the round
tips... decisions, decisions...

Cheers

Old November 26th 03, 12:21 AM
Mark S Conway

Hey guys...
First of all, there was no intention of stalling on one engine.
We are trying to demonstrate Vmc, Not our fault it didnt happen!!!
Now we know... I'm sure this will change on a hot summer day.

I just bought N3165P 23-1097 and it has none of the airframe mods.
This is THE Coolest airplane i have owned......

Mark

Old November 26th 03, 02:38 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Well, twas the hottest day in July, a steaming 96 degrees with haze and CB towers... Two big guys got into an jaunty red white and blue, Apache 150, replete with five seats, 108 gallons of fuel, a radio stack of vacuum tube radios and power supplies, and two engines at tbo not so incidentally, and proceeded to do a multi engine instrument rating flight test... After the usual air navigation and maneuvers under the hood, with dripping sweat blinding the pilot, the big guy on the right called for a single engine ILS approach with a miss at decision height... He also wanted the gear down when the controller gave the clearance for the approach... So, there they wuz, 1.5 miles outside the FAF at 2,400 feet, one engine moaning away with the throttle against the panel, when they got the clearance... The gear handle went down, and so did the fat boy Apache!
Hmmm, that didn't work so the pilot declared the miss, went back to two engines, and went around again...

This time, the big guy in the right seat called for the gear to go down when the glide slope was intercepted... Sweating their way around, this time at 2,600 feet, they intercepted the localizer needle, turned to the runway heading, the glide slope needle came to life and smoothly slid down to the donut, the gear handle went down, and so did the fat boy Apache! When the glide slope needle hit the top again the pilot declared the miss, regained the engine, and went around...
"Now what?", asked the guy in the left seat...
"sheeit, I dunno... You've passed your multi check ride but I gotta see a single engine instrument approach all the way to decision height for the instrument rating... Do it anyway you want to, while I fill out your log book."

So, the final ILS approach took place with the gear tucked up, right down to DH the tower controller kept fussing "I don't see any wheels yet." then the gear was selected, a trickle of power added on the dead engine, and they made a 'single engine' landing... Mission accomplished... Log endorsed... While a temporary ticket was laboriously typed out on an old Remington typewriter, a tired pilot stood in front of the big fan, dripping sweat...

Denny

"Mark S Conway" Now we know... I'm sure this will change on a hot summer day.