AD's on Experimental A/C

Old April 4th 04, 12:19 AM
Del Rawlins

In Ron Webb wrote:

No certification, no ADs. Short and clear enough?

Ron Wanttaja

Short enough. Clear enough. But WRONG - at least according to my local
FSDO.

Background:

Last year I ground looped my experimental (looks like a piper pacer,
but it's an experimental). Attracting the attention of the local FSDO.
Bad move.

They went over my paperwork, and cited me for not complying with the
AD's on my Slick Mag and lift struts.

snip
You see their logic. I even agree with it. (I have replaced the struts).
But it still ****es me off! Is there an appeals process?

You can remove the data plate from your slick magneto and stamp "Webb
magneto model 1, serial number 1" on it and the AD will no longer apply
to it. Then it is just a surplus mag you found (that happens to take
Slick parts). As for the strut, I'd like to see them prove that it came
off one of the piper models that the AD applies to. For all they can
tell you built them in your garage, unless there are part numbers
visible on them, which I highly doubt.

Furthermore, there are two parts to the FAA's own legal definition of
the word "airworthy." In addition to being in condition for safe flight,
it requires compliance with type design. Since your experimental has no
type design, it can never be considered to be airworthy by their
definition. It sounds like your FSDO has a case of cranial rectitis but
now that you are on their radar it is probably easier to just do as they
say.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old April 4th 04, 01:54 AM
Scott

We had an FAA seminar at my local airport about a week ago and I asked
the FSDO guy the same thing. He basically told me that, for example
your magneto AD, the AD must be complied with if the engine is
certified. He said the easiest way to make it uncertified was to remove
the manufacturer's data plate (ie Lycoming, Continental, etc). As far
as your lift struts, how does he know that they are production made
struts? You can build your own from stock from Aircraft Spruce, etc. I
personally defy my FSDO guy to find the yellow tag (paper trail as they
like to call it) for my struts.

Scott

ET wrote:
"Ron Webb" wrote in
:

No certification, no ADs. Short and clear enough?

Ron Wanttaja

Short enough. Clear enough. But WRONG - at least according to my local
FSDO.

Background:

Last year I ground looped my experimental (looks like a piper pacer,
but it's an experimental). Attracting the attention of the local FSDO.
Bad move.

They went over my paperwork, and cited me for not complying with the
AD's on my Slick Mag and lift struts.

I pointed out the little passage in part 43 that says - er...what you
just said...

Their reply was that even experimentals are required to be
"Airworthy". Since an "AD" is an "Airworthieness Directive", it is
declaring the affected part "non-airworthy". Therefore I gotta fix it!

You see their logic. I even agree with it. (I have replaced the
struts). But it still ****es me off!
Is there an appeals process?

Very ridiculous, since if you had used struts off a 69 ford fairlane, you
would have had no problem.... If this indeed ends up to be true, I will
endevour to use ZERO certified parts on my experimental.

Old April 4th 04, 03:32 AM
Ron Webb

You can remove the data plate from your slick magneto and stamp "Webb
magneto model 1, serial number 1" on it and the AD will no longer apply
to it.

Yes. That's what they told me to do with the engine (a modified IO-360).
Can't just remove the data plate (I'd done that). Didn't know I'd have to do
that even to the Mags, but I guess so. I don't have trouble with the mag AD
anyway. That inspection I can do - and sign off - myself.

As for the strut, I'd like to see them prove that it came
off one of the piper models that the AD applies to. For all they can
tell you built them in your garage, unless there are part numbers
visible on them, which I highly doubt.

As for the struts, I could have just replaced the forks (they are
recognizable as the small sized forks that were notorious for cracking. Mine
were new, but who needs a cracked strut - it's NICE if the wings stay
attached like they're s'posed to. And once I'd decide to replace them, the
whole strut wasn't much more of a stretch.

It sounds like your FSDO has a case of cranial rectitis

Cranial WHAT? How'd you know his name??

Naw - he was really a nice enough fella, but his word was LAW, and he knew
it! It seems I'm "guilty until proven innocent", and there is no practical
way to challenge their decrees short of a $Lawyer$.

now that you are on their radar it is probably easier to just do as they

say.

Yep.